Snakes On The Forum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Couple weeks ago while prowling a downtown area where some buildings were gonna be razed, I found these little rascals under some boards. There were 7 of them. As their chances for survival were practically nil , once demolition & excavation began, I caught them all , put them in a plastic bottle, took them home and placed them in my terrarium. The I went out & bought them some crickets to eat.

2796C1DAD6A840E3B00314FF3844BC3A.jpg

Attachments

• 2796C1DAD6A840E3B00314FF3844BC3A.jpg
    2796C1DAD6A840E3B00314FF3844BC3A.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 98

whiskeyman

Reaction score
They have been doing well. One died from unknown causes, but the other 6 have been munching down on crickets and growing. Today, I released them and watched them squirm their merry way through the rocks and grass.[:(]
Good bye and good luck l'il snakes.

HAKZAW1

Reaction score
Did they ask for crickets?? Cant tell for sure from great photo, but I dont think that kind of snake eats crickets, earthworms maybe, more likely tiny snakes and lizards. Was this in Tenn.? For sure they an non-poisonous, 'ground /brown snake' not very good eatin', dont ge big.etc. If not kept too warm and the are healthy --they wont starve for many weeks but give them fresh water DAILY(change water bowl often) and mist them Give places to hid under , like where you found them.. and remember 'the only good snake is a alive, left-alone snake' they were here first.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
"Did the snakes ask for crickets?"

Sure they did...even sent me an Email.[;)]

Maybe you better tell the snakes they don't eat crickets.I bought 4 dozen and there's about 8 crickets left. Like I stated they were munching crickets and growing. How do I know they were growing ? They were shedding their skins.
I always treat snakes with care and respect....unless poisonous and left with no other options...( which has happened but once in my 50 years of catching and keeping snakes as "temporary" pets.)

whiskeyman

Reaction score
RHONA...Thanks. I try to aid and assist my fellow critters.
I was amazed to even find them where they were. One block from the Main Street downtown and right off the edge of the Parkway. There's an abandoned junk yard, old house and another cinderblock building that are due to be demolished. No creek, no woods, just some scrub brush and weeds...and the boards they were under were right beside the parking lot's edge...Odd indeed.

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I spotted one dead snake lying upon the top of the boards and out of curosity I turned the boards over...a Blue Tailed Skink ( lizard) was the first thing I saw scurry away...Then: I saw the snakes...in two clusters. Made sure they weren't poisonous, before I picked them up and put them in a bottle.

marjorie040

Reaction score
Whiskeyman,
I hate it when my stupidity shows but I have to ask.....didn't the snakes try to run when you overturned the board?
Why didn't they bite you....? I know you said they weren't poisoneous but non poisonous snakes bite too, don't they?
Thanks,

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Charlie, Good going man. I try to move snakes out of harms was when I see them. The wife thinks I'm nuts when I pick up rattlers and moccasins but I never been bit except by one really excited coachwhip. Got the tip of one of my fingers in his mouth and that really smarted. Snakes keep the pests down around here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem