So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
ironmountain said:
this weather is ignorant.

Lol, yes it is. Not as bad here, but yesterday morning I went outside for the mail and it was way too warm for the sweats I had on. Went back in to get some work done, and by around 4 I was free and wanted to go detecting. On went my grubbing shorts and a t-shirt, but when I went outside it was around 40 degrees, hah. Figured I'd pass until today. Sounds like some nice knives BTW, I'm wondering if you ever deal with custom Damascus steel pieces? I've located a bulk supplier of Damascus steel billets in Pakistan and aim to try my hand at making some blades. No way they'd be professional, but I love the look of the metal and wouldn't mind practicing the art of knifesmithing with such starter material. I can look at one of those blades for half an hour and still be entranced. Anyway, I went out for more curb-strip action today, and shortly after starting a wonderful young woman came up to inquire about my activities. We ended up having a splendid, hour long philosophical/spiritual conversation which was decidedly refreshing for us both. She gave me her contact info and invited me to attend some pretty awesome-sounding events/groups I hadn't heard about. She also wants to go do some detecting, lol. It's great to meet like-minded people, uncommon as they may be. After she retired indoors, I found the following: 3 Quarters4 dimes1 nickel6 copper lincolnsa 1993 Star Trek pin that rang up as a half, heh1 1956 D wheat, and... a Silver 1947 Roosevelt, first silver coin of the year! Sweet as the silver is, that conversation was the real gem. After seeing hundreds of ignorant, superficial plastic people spinning in the hamster wheel that is their existence, rare folk like her help to restore my faith in humanity. Good luck everybody!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Also dug a gigantic bullet casing. A .50 cal. Browning M-2 machine gun round casing from 1943, made at the Lake City Army Ammunition Plant in Independence, Missouri (base stamped L C 43). Apparently the M-2s were used extensively on bomber and fighter planes during WW2. Dunno how this wound up in the curb strip. Any gunshot wound would be bad news, but getting blasted with one of these guys would be rather hard to recover from. Pic with the dime:
10170769_10103546804572020_1443238106910929924_n.jpg

MIdigger

Reaction score
Nice finds Plumb- I find the .50s up near the bombing/arty ranges near deer camp (makes for good scrap metal). I like your idea on Damascus, I too, am a fan of the metal. I have a world history class at college and the professor does bronze castings--asked him about a bronze knife casting for display. Thought an early metal example would be a cool thing on the wall.Iron-good finds too. Looks like we may be up your way starting May1-6th. I hope the snows melted I wanted to do some detecting and snooping around up there.So our finds for yesterday, were somewhat interesting. 6q, 9d, 1n, 32p G/F got oldest coin she's found yet a 1917-P wheat cent, I got 1- 1958 wheat cent, 1 military button (Horstmann -Phila) and a kind of interesting pin. Playgrounds and recreation association of America pin circa 1915-1929. All taken from 2 play grounds we scoured. I saw on ebay the playground pins are going for about $5-$25 on ebay. Its in excellent shape for being in the ground so long.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Got out yesterday for a bit, 3q, 5d, 15p, 2 wheats 46-D and a 53-D. 3 returnable's, nothing really interesting, but was good to be out for a bit. Saw an old codger also detecting the fair grounds. With 60s forecast this week hoping to get out a bit more.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Nice finds Plumb! I like the .50cal. I've found a ton of black powder bullets across the street in the small park. I've also found .22's and some 30-30 casings. Must have been a ton of hunting there before Ford made it a park. Nice that you can get out and hunt downstate Rich. You're starting the year off nicely. My friend is a photographer and does alot of freelance work for most of the college and minor league teams in GR and the Tigers and Wings and concerts... He texted me a pic of the ballfield at Aquinas college...it was all green and pretty. We have barely any snow left. Two days ago it warmed up to the low 50's and the snow is pretty much all gone.Soggy ground though. Was thinking if any of you guys come up (LEON or yourself) I'd show you the hotel site or go MD a few old logging camps I was told about. Here's a Google Map of an area I was told about. Tower Truck Trail and Camp Truck Trail. They run through what looks like a cleared/logged out area. If you zoom closer on it, it's grey. The river and small lakes near there are very old campsites. As soon as daughter and I have the chance, we're going to go out there and scout. Google Map:https://maps.google.com/m...gl=us&t=h&z=14 I'd like to say that the first week of May will be nice and the ground would be somewhat dried up....but we had 6" fall in one night last year or the year before in the middle of April! Cabin fever is setting in. I've been spending free time cleaning up the old Disston saws wife found for 2$ each. Think we have 8 or so. A few mid 1800's and rest are late 1800s-early 1900s. Cleaning up the 3 knives I got at the knife show. Keep the finds coming!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Hope that snow melts fast Iron! Got some more curb strip detecting in. Aside from the usual clad and copper memorials, I got:A nice green 1911 Wheatie, and a '55 and '56 D.A 2.7 gram sterling ring. More silver, yay! Good luck everybody.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Plumb, do you just wander town and hit up curb strips, or just ppl you know etc?wow..nice ring find! good start to the year.I was going to go to my friend's house today and go psycho on his land with the MD and the shovel and backpack. Not sure if I mentioned his place (I probably did).1/2mile driveway. very old homestead farm. his house is right on the edge of a huge bowl shape area that has it's own medium sized pond.1/4mi into the driveway on the right side, ground starts to slope downward into the bowl area and ends up being a 20+yd wide "valley" that leads to the pond.I'm thinking bottles. MD goodies. Gold possibly. I guess "back in the day" that area was like the "wild west". saloons etc..He said there are supposedly remnants of stills all over there. Spring fed pond, deep in the woods with good cover...I have full permission to just show up and go do my thing whenever I want. Didn't feel like it when I woke up to 4" of snow and 25mph winds! yesterday it was mid 50's and very very small banks of snow here and there. woke up today to ugliness. Kids had a 2hr delay. Same as last year though. We picked up 6" overnight in the middle of April.Keep the finds coming!!!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well guys hit it again, and got an 8 quarter pocket spill, a 3 quarter spill. I was out for about 1/2 hr before the torrential rain hit. I came away with 1-Kennedy half (1974), 14 quarters (clad), 10 dimes (clad), 3 nickels, 1 penny. Just adding to the travel fund for the trip to UP next month. Wish all the trips out detecting paid like this one did!. We got 2 inches of snow last night, but melting fast. Hope to get back out soon. Iron, will stay in touch with you about coming up. Good luck all.

2find4me

Reaction score
I am trying to get permission to detect at a church that is not used any more. Any one ever dug at an old church before that can give me a few pointers? Thanks!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Detected a few. Try all over the grounds, along any walk ways, parking areas, near trees (kids climbed them), picnic areas, ball fields.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter