So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
RE: Dismal detecting

Dig,
didn't even get close to having a chance to get out yesterday. The weather was cold. nice sun, bad 20-30mph bitter wind. Nice today again, still windy. Might have to actually brave the elements and go dig a bit. hope you find stuff other than milks and plate! must get "boring" only finding that stuff.... i'll trade you some roofing nails fresh from the ground for some of your finds!

MIdigger

Reaction score

Iron once again it was a decent outing. some pennies, 4 dimes, 2 quarters a kennedy clad half. 2 pcs of silverplate 1 tbl spoon and 1 teaspoon. Got bored and went dig mode--

dug up an old green mason (havent identified in red book yet) looks kinda like the old 1858 one but it doesnt have the date, however, it does have bubbles in the glass. Then an Atlas strong shoulder with the bale and wire, and the glass top sealed!! then a few other masons, 9 milks (1 qt embossed,1pt the rest assorted 1/2 pts) Also a light green Ypsilanty bottling 6-1/2 oz soda embossed. Might be a decent one there, never seen those before. A few small creamers, and a acl Coke from the late 50s.And last 1 stainless spoon, and 2 silverplate teaspoons.

I really gotta get on Craigslist...the house is becoming like hoarders! Closing in on 200 plus 1/2 pints of various mfg. If I bulk sell those things what should I ask? I want to move em not sit on them, some are embossed some are acls....

Want to get out and do some metal detecting in new spots. Good luck to everyone. Have to say those Eagle padlocks (look like the old jail ones with rivets) are kinda my favorite finds for the week.

ironmountain

Reaction score

nice haul today too!!! and you weren't skunked on plate! that's a good sign. I was thinking you must have a garage and basement full of boxes now! All you need are some cows and you're all set for a dairy.

Didnt get out today. was doing stuff around the house then it rained a bit and figured I'd keep pushing on with these bottles. Sad thing about being where I'm at, I never see ads for bottles let alone people who want them. Still waiting for the one guy to move and let me look through his 1500+ bottles...and One lady emailed me. They're cleaning out their barn and I casually sent them an email about bottles. She replied and said they're sickof having them in the barn and will call me when they clean it out. I offered to come whenever they wished and empty them.

I was also contemplating calling one of the larger local construction companies. I know they find bottles quite a bit and my friend said they just bury them back and smash em up with the backhoe or they just dump them because, as he says, "nobody cares about that s***). was contemplating calling them, asking to just dump them aside or see if they have some lying around....worth a shot, i guess.

wont MD much today either. son is home, have to go get daughter, get them both ready for piano, bike there (still cant drive) and then bike back to martial arts class..so we'll be busy til almost 8..... going to just keep working on pics of the bottles I made a lightbox for. See how they all turn out.

HH !

MIdigger

Reaction score
Sinning my wheels today

Iron, today its been raining on and off---hence no joy today. I got 2 new 3-prongs from the dollar store and done expect them to hold up long....But theres some church sales this weekend so maybe Ill get a bunch for 25-50 cents. Going to get some new things next week. I have a few obstacles to clear from the dump, as theres bottles under neath and a lot of good ones--the old Masons/milks from the 1900-1910s seem to have hit a line of older stuff.
I even found a nice pulley set but the pulley had about 1/2 of the wheel broke off, looks pretty old. Lots of horse shoes too.

The Penny area for wheats I want to run the detector over after the rain, that area always produces. You would swear it had people just dumping pennies all over. The detector seems to love finding the silverplate. Id guess I have about 20lbs of that junk now.

Looks like 50s tomorrow and no wind (today we have the 30mph gusts) so it should be good for both adventures. Hope your bottle deals work out. Iam at max overload with bottles and collectibles. Good luck to everyone.

ironmountain

Reaction score
RE: Sinning my wheels today

sounds like you're going to have a good day today dig!
i was out last night in the backyard a bit after all the running of kids to martial arts and youth group was done. I found something decent methinks. I found an old metal tent stake sticking straight up(the top of it was buried about 3" down). I pulled it out and dug next to it and I found what looked like a bail and lid all janked up...then i started finding glass hunks at about 8". found a very thin piece of glass that was kind of pearlescent. If it wasn't 30 today and 30mph nonstop, i'd be back there now with a spade...other than that, about 2handfuls of roofing nails spread out..then it got dark.

might even toss on a jacket and hit the backyard today just to see what's there.

you definitely have a bunch of plate. I thought my bucketful was too much...

hope you find some goods today..

MIdigger

Reaction score
Detected a dueling type pistol today

Decided to take the detector along for use after I dug at the dump. Dump finds were typical, 9-1/2 pcs of silverplate, 9 milks-assorted, 1 "for hospital use only jar/bottle some small creamers, copper wire and unfortunately 2 broken sodas--Peoples beverages, and the other was a early 40s Dr Pepper....Then detecto mode...

Started off as usual, few pennies here and there, 1 wheat (1918), a dime, 3 pcs of silverplate then I got a signal but it was deep. Id about given up but I dug down and saw a knob. I thought maybe an old ball hitch but the knobs maybe 1-3/4 inches in diameter and looks brass. I kept pulling and it was tangled in some leather straps and those had brass pcs on them (looked like horse equipment)....Finally after digging a grenade hole I got this out of the ground. Its basically the action, trigger/hammer assy, and the rounded off end of a ML pistol. Neat item now I just need to bust off the brass end for scrap.

surfaceone

Reaction score
RE: Detected a dueling type pistol today

Its basically the action, trigger/hammer assy, and the rounded off end of a ML pistol. Neat item now I just need to bust off the brass end for scrap.

Hey Rich,

Before you break it up, could'ya try the photo route again, please?

Every time I start reading here, I keep wishing there were more photo illustrations. Some of the members might be able to identify, or give you a date range on this. Makes me wonder what else is at the bottom of that hole, too.

You find too much cool stuff to have it go unpictured, sir. Your reading public would also like to look over your shoulder and see some stuff...

12e0a43ad7ff3d0800d9d0a6a0d5e314010d7ad3_hn.png

ironmountain

Reaction score
RE: Detected a dueling type pistol today

i agree with surface! you find some cool stuff at that dump...i could take pics of all of the really sweet roofing nails I find, but I can't give up my roofing nail spot to anyone!!!!

people down the street are having an estate sale today. Took the dogs for a walk and saw a bunch of old people getting out of their cars, figured it was a wake for someone til wife told me what it was. Not even wasting time to go there. Must be 40cars parked along the street.

plus i have a large enough task still organizing the bottles i'm going to get rid of and all of these books that won't fit on my shelves i'm selling off...

going out later to hit the park and the original ballfield at son's school. Some good news. in a few wks my son has a music/fine arts camp and wife is on call for work, so daughter and I are going to the inlaws for a week. still debating if we're going digging or if we're going to grab our knives and a gun and go hit the woods with the detector. Will be a good time to find some maple burl to start carving some knife handles.

HH if you get out

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson