So where are the detector reports??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIdigger

Reaction score
Small lot coins today

Only came away today with 2q,6d,8p and a 1/2 fork (silverplate), a hose nozzle, a couple of small metal compacts. Also one round button like object maybe froma saddle, silver star with black about 1-1/4 inches in diameter. Nothing to write home about, but some spending change to throw in the jar. Anyone else find anything over the weekend??

ironmountain

Reaction score
RE: Small lot coins today

OMG digger posted pics!!!!! Now you can display all of your plate and take a pic of it! Nice coin pics btw. Quite a bucketful you have there.

Plumb, I had that buck follow me with a not so nice look in his eyes and the doe from last week that followed us around.
Haven't heard of anyone being attacked or gored up here. There are quite a few tracts of land that are standing pine that many live in. Many people put food out for deer and they end up with deer in their yard eating and sleeping there. Most of the "wild" deer around here are pretty tame and very used to humans. That doe was in the neighbor's backyard again today and a car drove down the alley and honked and the deer never looked up. If we were allowed to bowhunt from our yards up here, the small grocery stores and the butcher shops would be out of business. Everyone would be eating venison.

I posted this in the digging threads already tonight, but I'm writing about it here too.

Went to local flea market. Very very small. Met an older couple who had coins for sale. I told them I find enough coins metal detecting. She goes on and on about how badly she wants one etc... I tell them I wish I knew a place to dig bottles because I collect them and can't find anywhere to dig.

Old man's eyes light up. The creek that runs through the edge of their backyard is full of bottles. He said there are so many just lying there that you could walk on glass there all the way down his property line. He said the bottles are those ones with the hole looking things in the bottom and the old junky medicine bottles. They invited me to go to their house whenever I want and I can either just park and go, or knock and they'll take me back there and show me where they all are and that I'm welcome to all of them. friend is picking me up at nine tomorrow and we're going. I'm bringing my MD to show her how to work it and let her use it while we collect bottles. He said that behind their house there's enough bottles to fill a pickup truck at least 3times.

They live in a small area outside of a very small town about 20miles away from me. The town used to be situated near where his house is. The hospital and the pharmacy were on his land and the next lot/tract over. Basically his house is where the edge of the center of town was. The town was later moved nearer to the RR tracks. There was a new lumberyard there and the iron ore carts were riding those rails. the lumberyard was built in 1880 and that's about when the town moved. So these bottles should be prior to 1880. I'm ignorantly excited for sure.

ironmountain

Reaction score
RE: Small lot coins today

Got to the guy's house and spoke with him. He showed us the creek. It was right next to their yard. One side soggy and pure swamp mud. the other side was nice and flat, but the grass/foliage was up to mid thigh. We couldn't see crap.

Saw the guy and he says "during March when it's still not grown over, it's nothing but bottles as far as you can see..." forget that, we're going saturday with a scythe and a battery operated weedwhacker and going to clear that out.

He did tell us that the flat area up the slope from the creek bed was where the original Sagola Hotel was at. Found some masonary pylons in a row that had a half circle cutout on the top for a pipe or something. Found a 4" hunk of clay sewer pipe on the ground next to one of the pylons. Told my buddy I wasn't going to screw around anymore and climbed the hill looking for the privy.
Found what looks like one. brick and mortar rectangle on top of rocks laid out in the same shape. dug next to it to see how deep the brick and stuff was and found shards of glass and hunks of wood. this was 40-50' behind and to the back corner of the lot the hotel sat on. Found a stretch of foundation and what looks like a square shaped stone sleeve with a cap that's off. this is buried into the side of the hill..

Sat we're bringing a sledge and prybars to open them up and see what we can find.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Saved a life today, Got some fish and coins

Brother is up from Kentucky so he I and the brother inlaw decided to go fishing today. spot one brother tied into a good catfish but broke the line at the landing...Moved to spot 2..nothing. Drove to the lake where I found last years gold ring find. I caught about 5 dink sized gills. Then we watched these old folks come across to the boat launch to bring the boat in......

The old fellow stood up in the boat (he`d cut the motor) and next thing hes in the drink. The brother and BIL heard him say he couldnt swim (about 100 yards from us wind was blowing hard or we wouldnt have heard that). Then the lady screamed help. So were tossing things left and right out of our pockets as we head for them. My brother jumps for the back of the boat, BIL dives into the lake, and I dive for the tie off rope (boat was starting to float out) and extend a hand for the old guy.
Between the 3 of us we got them secured. Think the old boy was pretty shocked, and said thanks. The thing that really bothered us, was the fact they had NO flotation or vests aboard, which is a ticketable offense here. Why someone who cant swim would chance that is beyond me. Being there was no one else but the three of us there, Im relatively sure he wouldnt be here if we hadnt been there. Think safety!!... anyways, Im sure glad the old boys ok, and hope he thinks twice before not taking the safety equipment.

The BIL thereafter got a big strike that snapped his hook in half. Nothing much after that. Headed back for lunch, then I grabbed the MD equip and headed to the parks. The maint men had done some grading again so I decided to work the area. I came away with 8q, 3d, 13p (3 wheats 2-1928-P,and 1-1941) 3 more Warrior dash medals, and a pocket of scrap metal. I also had my poles with me and decided to try fishing a bit more. Used one of those bass worms and hooked a 10 inch large mouth and tossed em back. I also found some cable someone had tossed away and being the Sultan of scrounge I snatched that up for scrap$$................A long but enjoyable day.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
RE: Saved a life today, Got some fish and coins

Man your a busy guy MIdigger, about the only thing you didnt do today was deliver a baby.[:D] Here was my day,woke up to find my dog had vomited paper plates he had eaten from our trash,my son informed me his Gym membership was going up 2 dollars a month,my work vehicles brakes were acting up,my work credit card had been compromised and I had to pay for my gas in dollars 58.00 of them[:mad:],my oldest daughter called me to inform me the salmon she was marinating was left out all night in the oven,[:(]sat in a 2 hr traffic jam on the NJ turnpike [X(],helped a bank maintenance man repair an elevator[:)],had some crazed woman riding my tail in a 50 mph zone where I was doing 56 and it wasn't fast enough for her[:mad:],pulled up in the driveway and I had to help my 86 year old neighbor remove his pool cover (that SOB weighed a ton )[:eek:]came into my house checked the mail and saw I had received my new tax reassessment and found out my taxes went up 2000.00 from last year Jim,Chuck anybody else did your taxes go up also[&:] other then that it was a great day,.........not as good as your day though[:D] Seriously I enjoy reading your posts thanks for sharing them with us.

MIdigger

Reaction score
RE: Saved a life today, Got some fish and coins

Guess I forgot the baby delivery...work more on that next time. Did some more fishing/metal detecting at the dam this morning. Caught some walley/cats/a sucker/and a smallmouth. Decided to detect the shoreline while my brother fished.

Came away with one fishing spoon, a large handful of assorted sinkers, some lead jigs, couple bobbers, and a few pennies. Cant wait til they drop the water level again in fall clean up the sinkers and more tackle. Even found a bunch of hooks...A guy could pretty much set up a rig with just whats found there. Heading back out in the morning may take the detector and try the other side and see whats out there. Nice to go during the week, not many people there.

Big event this week at the parks, plan to clean up next Monday. Hope everyone gets some finds.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Went to the lake today

While the family fished, I metal detected for a bit. Again finding jigs,bobbers,hooks,sinkers and 2q,1d,5p (one being a 1950-P wheatback). Nothing spectacular but fun anyway. Plus, im rebuilding my lost sinker stash.

Also got a return on a walleye catch, landing it, and finding it had a spinner hooked to it. Removed it and got a bonus return on tackle. Dont imagine that happens very often.

ironmountain

Reaction score
RE: Went to the lake today

wow..no idea what to say to those last few posts. sounds like a country song gone crazy. hope things start looking up. went to oshkosh yesterday (3hr drive) to watch daughter's soccer team beat on another team. drove to green bay and stayed the night at sister in law's house. drove home.

I keep thinking about this coming weekend and how I'm going to work this privy. can bust the cap off and start digging...or buddy can bust the cap and I can start digging from the side of the hill to see what kind of lining is there or if there are even bottles in there. we have free reign of the entire area. There is a slope at the back of where the building would have been that's overgrown that we haven't checked on yet. actually thinking that I'm going to let him bust up the cap and I'll start weed whacking on the side and backside of the hill to see what there is to see.... too much excitement...

just finished raining so might spend the evening MD'ing.

hope you guys' have better days this weekend! HH

MIdigger

Reaction score

Good luck, Im hoping you get some great finds. Like to see you pull some good coinage too. This big parks event gets over I hope monday to clean up some clad. Might go detecting in the mornings Sat/sun at a few school areas. Keep us posted!.

ironmountain

Reaction score

a nice big park to MD sounds nice...Started raining earlier so didn't have much time to MD. Actually, I went outside with my gear and it started raining!

Mother in law drove us: myself/daughter/son/niece we picked up in green bay to daughter's game in Oshkosh. She asked if I'm bringing the MD with me and I told her I was all set. Have a dozen batteries and everything all set to go. Guess my father in law is kind of nerded about going into the old field and woods with us. should be fun.

Sister in law gave me some insight about the farm too. Told me where to old cellar/potato barn was from when the first house was there. She said the original house's foundation is there too. Going to MD and dig that area up...especially if I can find the privy site. She also confirmed that, what would be the 2nd old privy site, is where mother in law told me it is. Right against back side of the woodshed...

Not sure if anyone has looked at the pics of what might be a capped privy...going to repost a cpl here and let me know what you think. The size of it is 6'x12' or so..managed to pry the 1st half top level off on one side..need tools for the rest. you can see the corner of the stone where they capped it.

BF2CB4357ACD4AD2A67DC66BA00A1856.jpg

Attachments

• BF2CB4357ACD4AD2A67DC66BA00A1856.jpg
    BF2CB4357ACD4AD2A67DC66BA00A1856.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 75

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member