Solid bottles made of glass.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
This subject has come up before and I didn't think it would be a practical objective. I just learned today that this practice was done to open mold halves to preheat the metal molds for production with better strike embossing of cut lettering and better bottle quality with some reduction of the Cold Mold Ripple that they would experience in the glass appearance. The only mold preheating I ever heard of was a gas fired rack of burners to heat the molds before they went on an ABM.

So you people that have asked about them before, please get back to me. RED M/

swizzle

Reaction score
Man I'd love to dig a few of those from the Mt. Vernon Glasshouse. Solid Cornicopia's, Success to the RR flask, Solid Clark & Whites. Any of those would be a real treat to find. I wonder if any of the workers bought stuff like that home to show their family? A very sweet bit of glasshouse history. Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
I didn't think I'd get that luck but heck ya just never know. The local glasshouse that I play around in ended production in the 1860's. I can dream though. Swiz

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello again, Well I have found out about a glass house dump that had a lot of these bottle forms that even have a large overage of flash over lay to the mold half's that were laid open on the glass shop floor and filled with a gather of glass to warm up the surrounding workers in the shop area. This was of course done in the winter where the furnaces were of a type that didn't heat the work area.

I have to assume that the practice was done with old damaged molds. The glass would heat the metal for slow distribution of the heat. If the practice was done in a good mold the damage of fire cracks in the mold iron would have been a destructive practice.

Anyway, it gives you diggers something new to look for. When I get some pictures I will post them. RED Matthews

swizzle

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if I should bring my metal detector to the glasshouse? There was a section that looked like a stone wall out back of there. In the middle of that stone wall was a larger pile of stones. Maybe I should get back up there soon and throw some stone. Swiz

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward