Some crazy finds over the w/e

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
WOW! LOVE IT ALL! SPECIALLY THE CLOCK AND THE CHAIR![SETH THOMAS MADE A LOT OF CLOCKS ,HAVE ONE PASSED DOWN IN MY FAMILY,NOT AS NICE AS YOURS.] IS YOUR "CITRATE" COLBALT? BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY!

EndlesDreamer

Reaction score
Towhead...I just took a couple pics of both the clocks. I have no idea what kind of wood it is. Could you please try to check your book for Ogee or O.G. case, something more to go on. I think it was more of a wall mounted clock. Please let me know if you found Ogee in your book. I just was watching antique rd. show too, it crossed my mind....

Glassman, Seth Thomas started his business in 1813, from what I have researched he was the longest established clock maker. Some great history behind all these things. The bottle isnt blue, a wise man told me, it turned from what was inside it.
Leaves are just starting to turn here... Thanks again everyone!

5999DC36A6A8473A8F3B080871034AF7.jpg

Attachments

• 5999DC36A6A8473A8F3B080871034AF7.jpg
    5999DC36A6A8473A8F3B080871034AF7.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 69

EndlesDreamer

Reaction score
Would anyone know what I can clean the wood on the clocks with? *scared*

Rick.....cant hurt to dream big, hence my name.......

ktbi

Reaction score
Hi Lisa,

A lot of those Seth Thomas clocks were Birch Veneer. Have a professional (antique restorer or woodworker) take a close look at it to determine best cleaning. I've cleaned some with simple Pledge and others I've had professionally restored. What they can take depends on the condition. I love the old clocks. Have fun with it and keep us in the loop when you decide what to do.....Ron

capsoda

Reaction score
Howard Restor-A-Finish http://www.howardproducts.com/restora.htm

Best stuff there is for that kind of stuff if the wood is in good shape.

It is called a kitchen clock and was very popular from the early 1880s until around 1910. You can buy a movement, face and hands for that clock too. The movements will run from $100 to about $400 for a clock of that size depending on the number of the movement. The little brass frames or part of whats left of the movement and the number should be on one of them or on the inspection paper on the inside of the clock. Also look for a stamped ink number on the bottom or on/in the back.

EndlesDreamer

Reaction score
Hi Ron, thanks for the info on cleaning this old clock, I didnt want to use anything that would damage it. I think I'm going to take it to the local antique mall when they offer appraisals along with the rocker. Maybe someone there can shed more light.

Warren, some of the movements are in the bottoms of the clocks, whats what I have no clue. I did check the clocks for any stamped marks, nothing visible. The paper inspection inside is really falling apart, peices of it missing. I did find a web site which dates the clocks. I tried to email Howard produts, but it came back undeliverable. Thanks for your help.
Lisa

towhead

Reaction score
I found an O.O.G., wood, height 25", c. 1875, 8 Day, strike, weight, Thomaston (E1-53) $105.00-$130.00

There are also a few called Connecticut Shelf O.G., O.O.G. and reversed O.G. Price Range: $110. - $600. Yours looks most like an O.G. No. 2: wood, 18" x 11 1/2", dial 6", 1 Day, weight, pedulum strike, and it's price is $400. - $500.

This book is from 1985....

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter