Some frigid winter digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
So, as I was at the last bottle show, a local digger that I know told me about a dump that he had dug in Montclair. He gave me the approximate location and told me he was nowhere near finishing the dump. He and his friend had dug there two years ago, and not since. This weekend, most of the snow was finally melted, so I decided to check it out today. Even after two years, there's still HUGE holes in the ground from where the other diggers dug before. Oddly enough, there were groundhog burrows connecting each of the holes to each other... that's a smart groundhog. He got a bottle digger to do the work for him! Either way, I walked around the area and found a couple of bottles on the surface. They were mostly unembossed medicines, and the previous diggers probably left them on purpose. I did the same. However, I found a few embossed bottles, which I kept. I hopped in one of the pre-dug holes, and I pulled out my first WHOLE dug bottle! After a while, my mom wanted to leave... Pfft I say! 30 degree temperatures and 42 mp/h winds do not stop a bottle digger! But she had the final say, and we (unfortunately) left anyway. I'd say it was a pretty good haul, and any winter digging is good winter digging. What do you think?

One of the pre-dug holes

img3248y.jpg

I'll post some more pictures of the bottles in individual threads...

Horton & Richardson
img3257rg.jpg

Burnett Boston
img3263p.jpg

Magnesia bottle
img3251vb.jpg

Haussling bottle
img3273u.jpg

Cheese Jar
img3285w.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Next time it warms up, I'll be able to go back... If this is the stuff I found mostly on the surface, imagine what I'll find below!

madman

Reaction score
hey man i wouldnt hesitate to go back there! nice finds! dont know about the jersey stuff but its old dig that sucker out!

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Can't wait till it warms up around here... I found loads of shards of Montclair bottles too, so I can only hope there's some whole ones down there somewhere. From the looks of things, this dump could keep me occupied for years... At least, that's what it looks like to me. Seems like a big dump.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Nice finds Wheelah23, when good weather hits git to bottom! I have a couple dumps here same way, peeps come and dig a day, go maybe 3 or 4 feet deep, looks like its dug but only that deep in reality, the good stuff lays below! Just take care digging deep, take a partner...Al

Wheelah23

Reaction score
This dump isn't natural, though... A huge dump was excavated during construction of something, and everything from that dump was trucked over and dumped on this spot. The layers are all jumbled, but there's still lots of stuff here!

It's 22° right now... Yikes! No digging today. But it will be almost 50° on Thursday, so I can hopefully dig for longer then. I hate waiting for things!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2