Some Irish Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ronayne88

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have only taken an interest in bottle digging in the past few weeks and have come across a few minor dumps. The old dumps I found have bottles from the 1800s (as traced by the embossing), but have only yielded broken shards. I recently found a nice dump but most of the stuff seems to be quite recent (1950-70). However, I did manage to come across some older looking bottles.

I would like some help in identification of some of these (and what they may have contained), as I have not yet figured out how to age bottles properly with regards to markings etc.

Image one here: http://i53.tinypic.com/156zmhf.jpg shows all bottles... from left to right bottles read:

1: blank
2: blank, but bottom reads: IGB (Irish Glass Bottle), 8-OZ , LY-5
3: blank, botttom reads: 5
4: This I understand is an old type Guinness bottle. The cirular stamp on the front reads DIC, SE (Saorstát Éireann or Irish Free State). This was in existence between the years 1922–1937, so would I be correct in assuming that this bottle is from that period?. The bottom reads: 10 IGB
5: This reads "Essence Coffee & Chicory", "Newsom & Sons Ltd", "Cork", with IGB, 208, 1 on the bottom.
6: Finally, this bottle reads "Cork Distilleries Co Ltd", with IGB, 330L - 12, IIX on the bottom.

No 3 looks very odd to me - anyone have any ideas what it could have been used for? Also does anyone know how old the bottle stopper may be or what kind of bottles these would have been used for?

I also found a harmonica, and two spoons - one which says "Property of NACB". I have no idea what this stands for.

Thanks in advance,

Seán.

PS: I can attach more pictures if needed.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi and welcome. It sounds like an educated guess would be your from Ireland but I'll ask anyway.
It the meantime the Newsom is the only familiar one to me from over here. They were a coffee, tea, spice etc dealer if memory serves me. The bottle may have had a stopper like the one you have shown. They had a cork wrapping and some were embossed. Lea & Perrin, Holbrook and others used that and so may your Cork liquor bottle as some flasks did. I'll guess that's County Cork. It that where your from?
The green I would say is from the time period you mention but I don't know the history. Is that an inside screw thread?
Anyway welcome, again.

F472337BB87140F29F228219F026A4FE.jpg

Attachments

• F472337BB87140F29F228219F026A4FE.jpg
    F472337BB87140F29F228219F026A4FE.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 398

ronayne88

Reaction score
Hi Cowseatmaize,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I'm from Cork, Ireland (just updated my profile now). There is no screw thread inside. It's probably just the lighting. A lot of the bottles I found have direct connections to Cork but I'm finding it very difficult to trace anything. I have not been doing this long and the green guinness bottle is my best so far. I did find some 19thC bottles but unfortunately they were broken. I have found a nice looking dump recently with stoneware shards popping out as well as glass. Unfortunately though it is the bank on the side of a road. It's a really interesting hobby. I hope to get some digging done tomorrow.

All the best and thanks,

Seán

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello Sean,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for showing the great finds.

156zmhf.jpg

3: looks like a medicine phial or vial

4: Appears to be an ale type form. I'd love to see closeups of the seal and the base.

5: "Newsom & Sons Ltd" were Tea Merchants in Cork, per the 1907 directory. "Essence of Coffe & Chicory" was a popular flavoring essence of the period and could be used to make a tasty beverage.

6: "Cork Distilleries Co Ltd" was founded 1867. "867: The Cork Distilleries Company is founded. The Midleton Distillery combines with four distilleries - North Mall, the Green, Watercourse and John Street...1882: Paddy Flaherty joins the Cork Distilleries Co. Ltd and creates the legend of “Paddy’s whiskey.†From.

"The display of Cork Distilleries Co. Ltd. was similar to that shown in previous international exhibitions at Philadelphia in 1876, Paris in 1878 and Sydney in 1879. It was in 1825 that the Murphy brothers founded the Midleton, Co. Cork. Distillery. That eventually became the home of all of the Company’s manufactured whiskeys, especially after they installed the world’s largest pot still with a capacity of 33,000 gallons. In 1867, the Cork Distilleries Company was set up when the Midleton Distillery amalgamated with four distilleries in the city. In 1880 over 400 brands of Irish whiskey were on sale around the world and more than 160 distilleries were in full production to meet the demand. In 1882 Paddy Flaherty joined the Cork Distilleries Co. Ltd and created the legend of “Paddy’s whiskey.†From 1919 to 1933 the Prohibition Laws in the USA decreed that all production, importation and trade in alcoholic beverages was forbidden. This had a devastating effect on the Irish whiskey industry. In 1921, the economic war with Britain meant that trade sanctions are imposed on Irish whiskey sales to the British Empire. Many Irish Distilleries closed as a result of this trade embargo." From.

000.jpg
From 1919 Directory.

144.JPG
"144 CORK DISTILLERIES CO MULTICOLOURED TIN SIGN. 16.5 by 12.5ins. Bottle of whisky & crate pictured ‘CORK/ DISTILLERIES CO LTD/ WHISKY/ PURE/ POT STILL’ in gold lettering. Surface marks etc., overall quite good. NR £30-40+." From.

Also does anyone know how old the bottle stopper may be or what kind of bottles these would have been used for?
These stoppers would have been cork wrapped to effect the seal. Used on a variety of bottles through the 19th century & into the 20th.

The more pictures the merrier, is my philosophy...

220px-Chill_Wills_in_Stand_By_for_Action_trailer.jpg

ronayne88

Reaction score
Hi Surfaceone,

Thanks for all of the information. With regards to bottle #4 - I know it is an old guinness bottle but don't know exact date. I am having a lot of trouble uploading pictures. How did you attach more than one picture in one post?

Anyway.. I have posted a picture of the seal (DIC, SC [Saorstát Éireann or Irish Free State], 127)
and base (10, IGB [Irish Glass Bottle] of that bottle here:

http://i55.tinypic.com/wa2ejc.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/2d1ofbo.jpg

Thanks again,

Seán

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
I can't help on the bottles, but seeing "Cork" always gets me to take a second look. My ancestors came to the Unitred States by way of Cork, so it is no wonder that I always look at Cork with great admiration.

Mike

ronayne88

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

That's cool. Actually, as it happens, I too am emmigrating to the United States via Cork!

All the best,

Seán

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator