Some new 'art deco' style soda bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~

Little did the authors of those 1963 thru 1967 books know that the term "Decorated" would eventually (2003) evolve into "Deco"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record ...

Here's a scan of the "Eye-Se" listing from the book ...

Bottle Collector's Handbook & Pricing Guide
By: John T. Yount
Copyright : 1967

81EC80DFE6A648E08FCAAB2B4029B824.jpg

Attachments

• 81EC80DFE6A648E08FCAAB2B4029B824.jpg
    81EC80DFE6A648E08FCAAB2B4029B824.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 61

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And this ...

D86B21E202DC41F0845DC8CEAA769679.jpg

Attachments

• D86B21E202DC41F0845DC8CEAA769679.jpg
    D86B21E202DC41F0845DC8CEAA769679.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 65

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
And this ... (Valued at $3 to $5 in 1967)

2DE60AC78F35481CA660F7E25F8AFA99.jpg

Attachments

• 2DE60AC78F35481CA660F7E25F8AFA99.jpg
    2DE60AC78F35481CA660F7E25F8AFA99.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 73

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Final P.S. on the subject ...

In 1967 I was 15 years old and wouldn't develop an interest in collecting soda bottles until nine years later (1976) when I was 24 years old. At the time, and throughout my 37 years of collecting, I never had much interest in Deco soda bottles and wasn't fully aware of the term "Decorated" soda bottle until just today. I'm 61 years old now and learn something new everyday ... [sm=thumbup.gif]

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

For some reason...............I can't figure out why, decorated/deco bottles have now morphed into 'art deco' bottles.

Decorated yes, art deco.................no.

And, no, I haven't forgotten the above and acknowledge it. However, the common and accepted term is "Deco" now and likely will be from now on. At least we know now how the term decorated "morphed" into Deco ... because Brian Wade invented the term!

Bob

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

Final P.S. on the subject ...

In 1967 I was 15 years old and wouldn't develop an interest in collecting soda bottles until nine years later (1976) when I was 24 years old. At the time, and throughout my 37 years of collecting, I never had much interest in Deco soda bottles and wasn't fully aware of the term "Decorated" soda bottle until just today. I'm 61 years old now and learn something new everyday ... [sm=thumbup.gif]

Bob

Bob? Do you understand what Dennis and myself were saying now?

I almost feel vindicated.[;)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: iggyworf

Here are 3 'art deco' syle bottles I recently got. All from my home state of Michigan. I think from the 20's. The nehi has design pat'd date of march 3 1925 on the bottom. It's from Battle Creek Mi. The Faygo is from Detroit. The other is Highland Park Ginger Ale Co.

Osia ~

The main reasons I joined this discussion are twofold ...

First: Because in iggyworf's opening comments all he was attempting to do was share some soda bottles from his collection. Granted, he used the term 'art deco' to describe them, which might not be the accepted terminology most collectors use these days to describe the category, but I'm sure if he were allowed the opportunity to explain himself fully that he would likely have change his description to 'Deco' and drop the word 'Art.' But irregardless of the exact wording he used, the majority of us knew what he meant and focused on the bottles themselves and not the wording. Notice in the first few replies how other members said things like "nice" and "great." But then you and a few others came along and instead of just enjoying iggyworf's pictures, you started splitting-hairs and scrutinizing him for his choice of wording. And then the next thing we see is a simple thread turned into a monstrosity of who was right and who was wrong regarding the choice of words. Had the comments continued in appreciation of a newbie simply wanting to share some cool bottles, this thread might have developed into one where other members would have shared some of their so called 'Deco' bottles and that would have been that - with no major debate to disrupt it. But that wasn't the case, which is unfortunate because it could have been a worthwhile discussion that included some really cool bottles.

Second: Because I felt iggyworf was being unjustly scrutinized and bullied, I decided to take the discussion in a different direction in the hope of emphasizing that no matter what the wording, the term "Deco Soda Bottles" had an origin - is accepted these days by most collectors - and that it is here to stay no matter how desperately others might like to change it. Brian Wade's 2003 book was endorsed by some fairly influential people, and if the term "Deco Soda Bottle" is okay with ...

1. The Soda Fizz
2. Cecil Munsey
3. Rick Sweeney
4. And numerous others

... then its totally okay and acceptable by me! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Respectfully,

Bob

celerycola

Reaction score
No one was trying to bully a new collector. Unfortunately he was misled by bad information on a lengthy, earlier thread on this site and someone tried to point him in the right direction. If he had been going to bottle shows fifteen years ago he would have found Brian Wade gathering material for his Deco Soda book and talking terminology with other collectors.

There is no substitute for going to bottle shows, talking with experienced collectors, and buying well-researched books to learn about bottles. Very few of your questions will be answered using Google.
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

ORIGINAL: iggyworf

Here are 3 'art deco' syle bottles I recently got. All from my home state of Michigan. I think from the 20's. The nehi has design pat'd date of march 3 1925 on the bottom. It's from Battle Creek Mi. The Faygo is from Detroit. The other is Highland Park Ginger Ale Co.

Osia ~

The main reasons I joined this discussion are twofold ...

First: Because in iggyworf's opening comments all he was attempting to do was share some soda bottles from his collection. Granted, he used the term 'art deco' to describe them, which might not be the accepted terminology most collectors use these days to describe the category, but I'm sure if he were allowed the opportunity to explain himself fully that he would likely have change his description to 'Deco' and drop the word 'Art.' But irregardless of the exact wording he used, the majority of us knew what he meant and focused on the bottles themselves and not the wording. Notice in the first few replies how other members said things like "nice" and "great." But then you and a few others came along and instead of just enjoying iggyworf's pictures, you started splitting-hairs and scrutinizing him for his choice of wording. And then the next thing we see is a simple thread turned into a monstrosity of who was right and who was wrong regarding the choice of words. Had the comments continued in appreciation of a newbie simply wanting to share some cool bottles, this thread might have developed into one where other members would have shared some of their so called 'Deco' bottles and that would have been that - with no major debate to disrupt it. But that wasn't the case, which is unfortunate because it could have been a worthwhile discussion that included some really cool bottles.

Second: Because I felt iggyworf was being unjustly scrutinized and bullied, I decided to take the discussion in a different direction in the hope of emphasizing that no matter what the wording, the term "Deco Soda Bottles" had an origin - is accepted these days by most collectors - and that it is here to stay no matter how desperately others might like to change it. Brian Wade's 2003 book was endorsed by some fairly influential people, and if the term "Deco Soda Bottle" is okay with ...

1. The Soda Fizz
2. Cecil Munsey
3. Rick Sweeney
4. And numerous others

... then its totally okay and acceptable by me! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Respectfully,

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads