Southern NY & Northern NJ .... heck, Eastern PA or Western CT for that matter!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Diggrrr!

Reaction score
I'm a longtime California diggrrr! displaced to the East Coast (Suffern, NY). There's a whole lot of history out here, so I figure there have to be some old bottles in the ground. I'm looking for a digging partner to share effort and help keep me motivated. Let's go find a glory hole!

nirvine

Reaction score
Wondering if you got any response to your call? I currently dig in Baltimore great place to dig but lots of competition and in general the holes are two people holes and don't have much in them but every now and then you hit a really good one... I used to dig with a guy from Seattle who lived here now returned there we'd take trips once or twice a year to eastern cities and dig for a week, I'm interested in doing that again really havent found anyone who's interested I have some ideas where to go around NYC and N-Cent Pa. You interested?

braddboi

Reaction score
hiya,im a digger in the southern tier i have a few sweet spots. but allways looking 4 more. We should get together and share spots.i am braddboi on yahoo im's...........good luck

Diggrrr!

Reaction score
Hi braddboi,

I had to do a Google search to figure out what you meant by "southern tier", but now I know you meant 3 NY counties: Chemung, Schulyer, & Steuben. How is the digging out there? Rockland and Orange counties were well settled back to the American Revolution. I would be great! (but unlikely) to find something from that era. I got hold of an 1875 atlas of Orange county that shows locations of homes, villages, etc. After living in this area for 3 years now, I'm finally going out tomorrow on my first prospecting expedition for bottles. Hope I'm lucky!

Diggrrr!

Reaction score
Well met, Nirvine. I'm interested in your idea. What kind of sources do you have for picking spots to prospect around NYC & N-Cent PA?

RobF

Reaction score
Hi, " Diggrrr!" . I'm a new member of this forum. Welcome to NY.
I live in NYC, and I come up to around Suffern and Harriman State Park pretty often, hiking, camping, and fishing the Ramapo River. I've never done any serious digging up there, but would like to. I have kicked up a few bottles and artifacts. I have an amatuer interest, as well as some modest knowledge in the history of the area. Please feel free to contact me.

Diggrrr!

Reaction score
Greetings RobF!

I, too, have been researching the history of Rockland and Orange Counties. With such a long history, there should be plenty of bottles in the ground. Unfortunately, suburban sprawl makes accessing them difficult. I have gone bottle hunting in the area five weekends now and have found one prospectable dump with bottles from about 1910-1940. I only dug up a few of them, but my assessment is that this dump won't produce anything older. Still, several of the bottles I found were worthy of display in a window sill -- attractive, but not particularly collectible.

I also joined the Hudson Valley Bottle Club (HVBC) last week. They meet the 3rd Friday of each month at the Presbyterian Church in Marlboro, NY--about an hour drive north for me. On 21 August, I plan to help the HVBC with their 18th Annual Show & Sale in Millbrook, NY (on your side of the Hudson). You can get more info at http://www.glswrk-auction.com/ShowCale.html .

Perhaps the Millbrook Bottle Show in August would be a good place and time to meet?

diggrrr!

RobF

Reaction score
Don't think I can make the show, I don't drive and actually am not on that side of the Hudson......I live where the Hudson drains into the ocean. I'll let you know if I dig up anything around your area. I know of a privey hole near Pomona that I am probably going to dig up this summer.
I think most of the stuff in my modest collection is no older than early 1900's, which is an interesting enough era for me. I'll sure let you know if I find anything older than that. Thanks.

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey Diggrrr...

I'll be setting up a table at Millbrook... Hope to see you there...

Ron

braddboi

Reaction score
hi i mostly dig in steuben county there r 2 huge dumps here 1 is un buried so u can pick and move,pick and move..lol The other is a dump from the 1890 and is buried..fun diggin
im still lookin 4 the local pepsi bottle that brings alot of $$ here. if ya wanna get together and dig some bottles let me know. u can reach me through here or i am braddboi@yahoo.com or braddboi on yahoo im's

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75