Splitting Privy finds

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Clam

Reaction score
I think what ever you guys agree on is the way you should do it. Not everything works for everyone. I know that the "what you dig is what you keep" way of doing it would never work around here, too many variables. I agree with john that if you are the one who gets the permission for the spot that you should get 1st pick. I think that all of the methods have their down falls, I have seen guys who did not even lift a shovel all day get first pick, which is wrong no matter how you look at it. I dig with a bunch of different guys at different times and each of them do it a different way. Like I said if it works for you and your digging buddy then don't change it, but on the other hand if it works for him and you don't like it then say something don't hold it in because I have seen some good friends never talk to each other again over splitting up the goods. Again as john said you need to have an agreement before you find the $3000 bottle because it will come out with a vengence at that point if both of you are not on the same boat.

probe buster

Reaction score
My digging partner and I use the coin flip method--it seems to work the best. To make it even fairer, we will often hold back the spoils from several digs until we have a fairly good selection of more desirable bottles, then split everything with the coin toss-your pick-my pick method. This gives us both a good feeling of walking away with some keepers no matter who wins the toss. There's nothing worse than getting second pick after a dig where there's only one decent bottle, with the rest being crap. As for the low end junk, we hoard it up and sell it to a local contact and split the money--it helps cover gas and digging equipment.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
It all depends on the (people) you dig with.Thats it in a nut shell.if some other bottle digger doesn't like the way you do it.Tough chit! Thats what I say.
If i dug with a bunch of other people,I would do it the way they normally do it.But here at home its "Finders Keepers" we always manage to get good bottles for both of us.

redbeardrelics

Reaction score
We usually agree that the person that gets the permission, or finds the spot gets first pick, and there have been no problems working that way. If it is a mutual spot, then flipping a coin can work well, but can get troublesome if you regularly win the coin toss on only the lousy holes. If you are digging with the same guys regularly, it is better to just keep in mind who won first pick on the better holes, and then make adjustments to the picking order if things start getting lopsided.
When it’s a mutual site and three or more are splitting up the labor and the finds, we found it works out more evenly if the pick order is reversed after each round.
Example, If digger “A†has 1st pick, digger “B’ has 2nd pick, digger “C†has 3rd pick, and digger “D†has 4th pick, then the pick order would go as follows;
First round A, then B, C, D
Second round goes D, then C, B A
Then back to A, B, C D, and so forth.
This way digger A gets picks # 1, 8, 9,16 etc (first four picks add up to 34)
Digger B gets # 2, 7, 10, 15 etc (first four picks add up to 34)
Digger C gets # 3, 6, 11, 14 etc (first four picks add up to 34)
Digger D gets # 4, 5, 12, 13 etc (first four picks add up to 34)

This seems much more even way of doing it than:
A getting # 1, 5, 9, and 13 (first four picks add up to 28)
B getting # 2, 6, 10, and 14 (first four picks add up to 32)
C getting # 3, 7, 11, and 15 (first four picks add up to 36)
D getting # 4, 8, 12, and 16 (first four picks add up to 40)

But as others have said, do what works best for you and you digging buddies.

RedGinger

Reaction score
This is getting complicated. Even Joe and I have our own separate bottles that we don't share. We "give" each other bottles on occasion. Just ask him. He gave his "Honble Lady Hill" to Tom, who later gave it back to Joe. Now, Joe won't give it to me! lol In fact, just the other day, I traded Joe a bottle for a nice Lady's Leg he had. It just seems wrong to give up what you found if you gave everyone else a turn in the whole equally and of course were generous with your find(s) to the guy who got permission. Of course, this seems like more of an issue in privies, but if we're digging a dump, I am not going to give you something I found digging at the other side of it unless I want to (which I probably would if it was something I knew you really wanted, or you had helped me get it out, etc., etc.) I am lucky to have good digging partners.
I like what Rick and Jamie said.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: glass man

WELL IF THEY TWO OF YOU ,YOU GET TWO OLD DUALING PISTOLS. HAVE AN OBJECTIVE WITNESS. STAND BACK TO BACK .TEN PACES COUNTED OFF TURN AND..THE ONE STANDING GETS THE FIRST PICK. IF THE OTHER IS STILL BREATHING THEY GET SECOND PICK. IF NOT IN THIS OLE WORLD NO MO ALL GO TO THE STANDING. IF BOTH GO TO HEAVEN THEN THE OBJECTIVE PERSON SENDS THM TO ME. ASK FOR MY ADDRESS BEFORE THE DIG,VERY IMPORTANT.

IF MORE THEN TWO ALL GET AUTOMATIC WEAPONS.[M16S] GO INTO THE WOODS AND HUNT EACH OTHER DOWN. IN THIS ALMOST ALWAYS ONLY ONE LEFT,SO THEY GET ALL BOTTLES. IF ALL DO GET EACH OTHER ONCE AGAIN THE BOTTLES GO TO ME.GET MY ADDRESS BEFORE YALL START DIGGING,VERY IMPORTANT!

JUST A SUGGESTION! CAUSE I KNOW MANY ON HERE LOVE GUNS AND BOTTLES ,SO MIX THE TWO FOR THE MOST FUN!![:D] JAMIE

OMG! Too funny Jamie![:D]

RedGinger

Reaction score
I know, Jamie always makes me laugh!! That was pretty funny!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Nemo-seagulls.jpg

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rwcw1040

Do you more experienced privy diggers feel splitting the finds with your partner by him keeping his best dug bottle, and you keeping your best dug bottle, and splitting the rest between the two as a fair way to split the finds.

Thats EGG ZACK LEE what my digging partner and I do.We have been doing it for years that way, It works for us,it many not work for you.If it works work it.
If I dig a "good" bottle out with my own 2 hands I want to keep that bottle,my partner feels the same way.Thats why it works with us.We take what we are dealt.
If I dig with some one who has the flip rule then I will go by their rules.but when its just my buddy and I,we keep what we dig.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler