Spring Dig in Mass. My first real dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

benbriggs

Reaction score
Hello All, Well I'm going to do my first dig and I already know 100% that there is a privy and its definety untouched. My parents live on the South Shore, (south of Boston). They recently bought a house that was biult around 1870. In the last month or so I have really gained an interest in bottles since finding about 52 of my grandfathers bottles. My mother knows the woman who grew up in this house who is now around 90. She has pinpointed exactly where the outhouse was! Right in the middle of the backyard. She says running water wasnt in the house till the mid 40's. I cant wait until spring to get digging. Any advise for me that you expereinced diggers have? What should i use for a probe? About how far down to you think Ill have to dig before locating objects? Things to watch out for?...Come to think of it, they also have a dirt cellar...bottles may lie there to? look forward to responses. thanks

Ben Briggs
Northfield, MA

preditor

Reaction score
welcome to the forum. some of the othrs may have a better idea for a probe but the one i have is very inexpensive to build. i took a steel antenna off of a wrecked car most of the newer models have the kind i used they screw into the mount when you take it off the car it will be threaded so you can put a nut on it. what i did was cut a peice of broom handle the width of my hand drilled a hole through the middle then used a little bigger bit to drill a counter sink hole on one side so when you put the threaded end into the hole you have the countersunk hole for the nut so it sets flush with in the handle making it like a T grip then cut the little ball of the other end and your ready to go.
Preditor[8D]

diggerjeff

Reaction score
a forum member "jaken" builds and sells good probes at a reasonable cost. check him out!!
http://www.varelichunter.com/

happy hunting!!!!!

digdug

Reaction score
I bought my probe over a year ago from the website listed above. It works GREAT! I tried making one, but it never turned out right. This guy does QUALITY work on his probes Well worth it!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson