Spring fling!! Another crawlspace drugstore!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hello AUDSDA gang,

I found the following bit of fluff From the Meyer Brothers Druggist of 1902 and thought of you guys:

HOW IS YOUR CELLAR?
Cleanliness Is Next to Godliness.—The main thing is to keep a cellar clean and each article in its proper place.—[E. H. Dort, Auburn, Neb. » Keep a Cellar Like a Store.—I endeavor to keep my cellar and back room in as good shape as I do the front part of my store.—[david P. Cox, Terre Haute, Ind.
The Drug Cellar, as a Rule, is a disagreeable subject to contemplate. Like the "common drunk" in police circles, it is dirty and disorderly, always "too full," and, generally, has no excuse for existence.— [J. H. Harley, Lincoln, Neb.
Plenty of Room.—I suppose the reason why the druggists in my territory do not make use of cellars is that space in this section is not much of an object; besides, it is very damp in some places, and most of the stores are larger than really needed.—[E.' F. Buckingham, Temple, Tex.
Atchison, Kan.—A "drug store cellar" should be kept like a parlor; Many of them are in a deplorable condition. This has-been my quiet observation where I have had occasion to be called in. It is very much like the rear end of your neighbor's lot—a sort of dumping-off place for everything. Very little thought is given to it that the accumulation of rubbish and other decayed matter is liable to cause spontaneous combustion. Give your porter, or drug store boy, an hour one day in each week to clean up, and you will find it an easy matter to make your way in and out of your own cellar.
To utilize your space and practically arrange your cellar is worthy of consideration.—[M. Noll.
My Store is twenty-five feet front by 140 feet deep. The cellar in question occupies a space of twentyfive by fifty on the rear. The walls are of brick and the bottom thoroughly (as I thought) cemented. It is entered by a stairway which will take your head off unless you bow profoundly upon descending!
As to its uses and possibilities, they are many. I have thought that, with a little expense, it could be fitted up as a swimming pool—where young children could be instructed. They could not get away when once their parents got them down, so that, after a lesson, they could—if still alive—be located; or, if drowned, their friends could find their bodies with
but little trouble.
I have also considered its possibilities as affording ample opportunities for testing models of the new submarine boats, or, in fact, any models of like kind. Canoeing, also, might be practiced.
Again: I have thought of its practical value as an adjunct to our extensive^water works system in affording a reservoir for use in this block in case of fire. For this especial purpose it could be used at any time." From.

Getting pretty fanciful those Meyer customers.

Sounds like Lauren has had her fill of digging in small spaces. Continued good luck y'all.

zasu_math.gif

RedGinger

Reaction score
That was fun reading, Surface. I guess this space is just a little small for me. I tried, though! Rocky, can't wait to hear what you think the bottles are. KB, thanks. Fred dug him. I like the little kid on the chamber pot a lot! He's in the bathroom right now.

rockbot

Reaction score
Red, Joe, I've been looking for mine. I had one in milk glass, same shape and design but not sure about the seam. I thought mine was some type of hair gel like pomade but oriental version. Mine had a fancy 2 on the base. Now if I can remember where it is.[:(]

surfaceone

Reaction score
RE: Spring fling!! Day FIVE....

Hey Joe,

EEC7534AFA3E4B0B8D057EF5DB058510.jpg

jars.jpg
From. Could it be a small size Egyptian Show Jar?

khrushchev_shoe1.jpg

rockbot

Reaction score

Sure looks like it Surf!

What size is yours Joe?

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)

Well,...That is absolutley "it" but they must have made it in a smaller size as well, because the ones we found are about 3 inches tall.... Great work and contributions,.... Surfaceone, Rockbot, and everyone else who has responded!
m6.gif

B58100D8A456489587C2329B97E49103.jpg

Attachments

• B58100D8A456489587C2329B97E49103.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 48

madman

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Well,...That is absolutley "it" but they must have made it in a smaller size as well, because the ones we found are about 3 inches tall.... Great work and contributions,.... Surfaceone, Rockbot, and everyone else who has responded!
m6.gif

nice info!

madman

Reaction score

the tops werent down there?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads