Ashs, seeds, and black dirt!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

Rick,

That area is not far from a large stream that runs through town (river bottom like). At around 5 feet or so you hit a bottom of mostly gravel which usually is very wet. When digging below that, holes usually fill with water back up to that level So it appears the privies stopped pretty shallow. The one wood liner I dug to the bottom of stopped there. I imagine it to be different at higher elevations. We'll see as we're still newbies to the privy scene here.

PD

PD

Yeah Tom we had pits where the water pooled heavy!,In those cases we bucket it out so we can see the bottles and dig easier .We use a small can and scoop it in to a 5 gallon bucket.As you get deeper the water becomes less and less.
Did you try and probe those holes when you were standing in them like that? Its hard for me belive that was the bottom. of those pits.A lot of time we get those hard clay caps,and to a digger just starting,they might think it was bottom.The probe will go through a cap no matter how hard it is.
I was just hoping you guys didn't miss bottles that might have been (deeper) Like I said,never dug a pit that shallow in my life. S.R

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

No.. that's why I am feeling testy tonite.. I need to be adored!!!

7857F6F861A0451A8EC74B29CD0B8812.jpg

I like that! I think I will use it.No copyright right?[8D]

slag pile digger

Reaction score
After following this post , I am reminded why I return to this forum again and again, people sharing their love of digging for bottles with others!!! Thank You for a very enjoyable dig. I think I had as much fun as you all had!!! Michael

lexdigger

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with Rick... did ya'll probe the "bottom" to make sure? I've hit caps that I would have swore was the bottom, and then the probe went right through to another layer (usually the GOOD stuff!). Now I dig and probe into the bottom even when I KNOW it's bottom, just to make sure! LOL I also like to dig beyond the walls and get into the backfill (sometimes they threw a few bottles in there to! Either way, ya'll will figure em out with time. Gotta dig about ten or twelve of em before you start to get into a groove. Way to go guys... and gal!!! ;)

mainer1

Reaction score
Another great epic post
You guys really did a great job with this one
I'm liking Freds bottle he saved, amazing color!
Thanks for bringing us into your world again

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Local privy digger and all around nice guy C. Blackman (who's also a member of our forum under the same name) made an appearance today,....He's an old time digger,...a powerhouse, and gave me Tom and Laur our probe a couple years ago,....He also gave Fred a probe today. One of his major tattoo's is of a crazy bottledigger.[;)]

94A83D5EDE754180B49EBC6622382F2C.jpg

First off,....Thank you all,... Richard, Tony, Michael, Chris, Gunth, Charlie, Gary, The Badger, Dan, Rick W,...Rick P. and everyone else who weighed in earlier in this post, Thank you for all your kind remarks and advice....Now I cannot say I'm even close to a seasoned privy digger, but to me the gravel looked like honest bottom,...but who knows? So while Chris Blackman was on board yesterday with his arsenal of probes and local privy digging expertise, I asked him to reprobe our woodliner, and he agreed it felt like bottom....Now it sounds like sometimes they can keep going, so in the future I'm going to do just like you guys say and dig down anyhow,..just to be sure....I was wondering if I should have checked outside the walls too??!!, i almost did because they were rotten enough to peel away... Durn it![;)]I should have went with my instincts,....Oh well,...next time for sure. Again thanks everybody.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I hope you weren't too off-ended by by bizarre behavior last night, Joe bro.. I blame it on cheap vodka.. [:D]

THE BADGER

Reaction score
gotta say guys this was definitely one of the most enjoyable posts because you had lots of pictures of the site and the spoiles, makes us feel like we were there.keep um coming all of you . THE BADGER

beendiggin

Reaction score
That was a great post...thanks again and NICE JOB!! Love the Gargling oil.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie