Stainless steel ball bearings

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Btl_Dvr

Reaction score
Has anyone tried SS ball bearings for tumbling? I'm on the final stage of putting my tumbler together and am looking at different tumbling media options. Thanks.
Jay

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I believe ball bearings would run a high risk of breaking or at the very least cracking your glass. Especially if you are tumbling older glass. Copper is used because it is chopped very fine and is non abrasive to the glass.

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Jay, I dont beleive I would try them in my tumbler... I have a probe with a stainless steel rod and when the tip comes into contact with a bottle I probed, it marks it like a magic marker and it is almost impossible to get the marks off!!! Taz

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hi Btl_dvr,
Definitely don't use BB's of any kind. They will cause damage to at least some of your bottles.
As posted earlier, cut copper wire #12 or #14 gauge is usaully the best for general tumbling.
If you have a very large bottle (like a Demijohn) or a delicate situation of a unburst shallow bubble, try using plastic pellets. It takes much longer to tumble with plastic pellets because they are light weight.
Stinger

Btl_Dvr

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back everyone. I've got a bunch of copper,now I've just got to get busy cutting it.
Jay

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28