Started with milk bottles and now I think I am developing a problem

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scfire

Reaction score
My interest in old bottles is just beginning and I hope I can keep it under control [8|] It all started with My grandfathers dairy and the search for his old embossed bottles and has now grown into anything "different". A friend of mine has on his property the ruins of an old house and I knew there were some bottles around there so I went out this past weekend for a few hours to look around. The only thing left of the house are foundation pillars, the chimney, a stack of bricks and a pile of tin. There are two old cars and various scrap metal (mostly tin cans) scattered through probably 2 acres. I knew it wasn't a very old site and judging from the finds it is going to be from the late 40's to 50's I am guessing. I have a feeling that there may be some older finds but the area is so vast and littered that I don't know where to start. There is one place that I think needs to be looked into a little more. I am not certain but believe it to be a privy it is concrete and there are bricks inside that seem to be a "lining". I reached in and found a blue MOM bottle just under the surface and swung my metal detector around it and found two big hinges with the nails still in them. Has anyone seen a privy with concrete like this? I did turn up two cool finds with some toy guns (both broke) one being a Gene Autry. The upsetting find was a nice whiskey bottle that I found to be broke in half. I hope to go back soon but need to discipline myself to stay in one spot and work it well. And now for the good part.......Pictures......

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi, nice pictures.I'm not seeing a problem. Not finding, that's a problem.Sure, MOM's, Certo and some of it's not very collectable but the Jumbo PB's are always nice to find.Broken is a problem too but at least it was post prohibition from the looks of it.Keep at it and maybe go deeper.I think most people will agree, if you find one keeper in twenty it's a good day.[:)]Anyway, welcome and thanks for the walk in the woods.

Dugout

Reaction score
And no, you won't be able to keep it under control!!

David Fertig

Reaction score
Looks like a cistern and not a privy to me. If it's dry, I'd put a ladder in and see what's there. More often then not, these are only good for the experience of saying you were down in a cistern. But you have to put the time in if you want any chance of finding anything. Ask PA Will about keeping a collection under control. And as I like to remind him - "I told you so!" Good luck with your collecting.

zecritr

Reaction score
There's control? oops forgot that :) Nice area, yeah just reading what you said i thought of cistern also,you never know though and always an experience like was said aboveGood Luck

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
In one of digger O'dell's privy books he breifly mentions (and has a photo to illustrate) some cement prefab privies that sorta look like yours from the early 20's. I suspect they were not in production for long due to indoor plumbing becoming increasingly common. I came across one once and poked around in it more out of curiosity than anything else and found a machined King's New Discovery, so they were likely made as early as 1910ish, but generally not old enough to be of much interest. Conversely, 3 feet away I discovered a stone lined oval that bottomed out at 12' and ran a full 60 years from the 1850's to the age of the cement one and was never cleaned out. Until I came along. I would check around the near vicinity of the obvious privy with a probe. I assume you don't have one so for about $8 you can go to most big box type hardware stores and buy a 2' long screwdriver to use as a temporary probe. I also would check out around the base of the fireplace as they seem to be a common area for bottles to show up. Also look for a creek or ravine to search as it is more likely there are several dumping areas there. Jack

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen