Stoneware

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Hi Surfaceone, the Merrill crock is 10" tall and would probably hold 1-1.5 gallons. It has an inner lip for a lid, though the lid on mine is missing. These were made by at least several of the local potters and I haven't seen them from anywhere else but around here. I'm guessing they were used more for storage of dry stuff like flour and grains as most don't have the capacity marked on them.

As for closeups, neither my camera nor my photography skills are conducive to close ups.

surfaceone

Reaction score
As for closeups, neither my camera nor my photography skills are conducive to close ups.

Thanks Todd,

More's the pity, eh...

unicron_burp.jpg

SODIGGER

Reaction score
Gotta love the old stoneware. Great collection. What can you tell us about the Portsmouth, Ohio bottle.

toddrandolph

Reaction score
The beer is J.I. Marsh, Portsmouth, O. 32 oz with an interesting picture of what looks like a picnic table with a lot of people around it. I would guess it dates to around 1890-1910. I bought it for $2 at a garage sale with layers of paint on it with the hunch that there was something under the paint and that paid off.

div2roty

Reaction score
Todd,..great stoneware! I love the lean on this crock! Thanks for sharing it...I have a nice cobalt decorated jug I found under a pal's barn while repairing the foundation...It had a corn cob tied on with ribbon for a cork...

Joe,

I've seen that often with the brown and white (or cream) jugs, but not as often on the older salt glaze. Do you still have your jug? Is it marked from PA?

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Yes I still have it Matt, although the corncob parted ways a long time ago, probably in a move...It's a Rochester NY, Burger (Jr.)...And also found this Lyon's marked jug not far from it...It was a good day.

AD9F2F6C14724A4685812B386469B0DB.jpg

Attachments

• AD9F2F6C14724A4685812B386469B0DB.jpg
    AD9F2F6C14724A4685812B386469B0DB.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 60

div2roty

Reaction score
Yes I still have it Matt, although the corncob parted ways a long time ago, probably in a move...It's a Rochester NY, Burger (Jr.)...And also found this Lyon's marked jug not far from it...It was a good day

Nice finds Joe. Burger's are quite popular and usually feature very distinct blue designs. I like that one, the 2 is nice addition to the decoration.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris