Stumped ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MIssissaugadigger

Reaction score
So a couple of weeks ago I was walking the dog on this property.Old orchard and the farmstead dates back to the early 1800s .I had found one dumpsite b4 with only bottles dating back to late 40s.Anyway my girl starts following this trail down along a cliff (bluff).Then for some reason I start looking up this clay cliff because their is a large tree at the bottom.When I notice some blue/green glass .So I start looking around this cliff face and find a number of small medicine and lots of shards of antique glass.Well I have been back twice now and have not found alot.I dug below where the tree ended up and I have gone up and down this cliff making holes everywhere.At the bottom of the hill (cliff) their is flood water from the river .Not sure where I go now or if their isn't anything else ?The pics are on my phone in case you are wondering ?Are they buried under the clay?Keep digging ? Kinda frustrated .ThanksKen ...

Macaco

Reaction score
Please post some pics.For a very long time many dump sites were covered by a clay "cap". Still are. Especially landfills. Ordinarily one would think of clay being a base, closer to bedrock but in this instance you may have clay on top of a trash field. Clay was/is used as a liner for a garbage fill sometimes too. You may find a trash layer sandwiched between two layers of clay.Don't expect the clay to be even or flat. It can undulate in elevation through a large trash fill area. I recommend working with a long bottle probe to find if a trash layer is there under the clay. steve

Macaco

Reaction score
I'm laughing a little now. I re-read your post. I missed the part about running water at the bottom of the "cliff". I explored a site a long time ago that had a similar setup to what you describe. The "cliff" though was only about six feet high.A few bottles at the base, where a river runs through. Digging down revealed no goodies. Turns out the clay cap and trash/bottle layer extended further out into the river at one time. Over years water erosion must have swept under it, pulling out the trash layer. Then the clay cap drooped down creating a near vertical face. I probed horizontally into it and found the trash layer behind it! Then it was a matter of digging horizontally to access it. Steve

MIssissaugadigger

Reaction score
I think they might be in the water .Bringing my snorkel and flippers tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to the site. My mother dug for old bottles in the 70's and most are colored with no seams or Prohibition bottles. She passed away too soon and left me 350-400 bottles. She cleaned each and everyone of them. I;m not sure which to keep and where or which bottles to sell. I will take pictures but just need some guidance. Thanks!

Macaco

Reaction score
fontainemelissa@aol.com said:
Hi! I'm new to the site. My mother dug for old bottles in the 70's and most are colored with no seams or Prohibition bottles. She passed away too soon and left me 350-400 bottles. She cleaned each and everyone of them. I;m not sure which to keep and where or which bottles to sell. I will take pictures but just need some guidance. Thanks!
Hi Melissa, You perhaps should repost this to the top of 'digging and finding'. Or another section. Your message may not get as much visibility as a response to this thread.Concentrate on pictures of embossed bottles from your mother's collection. I am sorry for your loss. Steve

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
This whole dump is covered with clay. You can see it here up top.Dig in!
DSCN0004.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey