summer dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zachary

Reaction score
I spent most of the summer, off and on, digging in my backyard. Must of been part of a old dump in the late 1800s to about the twenties. I found cork type bottles, lightning stopper types, a few with bottle caps still on, and a few with most of their paper labels intact! I figured since we moved in there had to be something out there. Everytime we dug a hole a piece of clay pipe or a clay marble would be found. Every year my son and I have dug around just seeing what we would find. This year we hit pay dirt finally. Digging down a slightly lumpy spot on the ground we began to find parts of embossed bottles and lots of rusty cans. When I say dig I mean dig, the average length down was about 3 to 5 feet for finding stuff. The amount of bottles found numbered about 100 unbroken and a trash can full of broken. At this point I am still sorting them but most are beer, soda, vaseline, whiskey, and medicine. The oldest bottle we found was a small pharmacy bottle from 1888. It is embossed H.C. PEARSALL PHARMACIST GLEN'S FALLS, NY marked DP & CO PAT'D MAY 15 88 F. A little local research revealed that Howard Pearsall was in business from 1888 to about 1894. Also found were quite a few D LA FLAM 15 WEST STREET GLENS FALLS, NY
The trouble was that West Street does not exist anymore in my city. Turns out it was my street's old name until about 1926 or so. The man in question, Dennis La Flam , operated a bottling plant and saloon until 1903 when he died.
W.H.VAN BENTHUYSON 23 WEST STREET GLENS FALLS, NY bottles were also in great abundance and for good reason. He was a bartender in La Flam's saloon and bought the place when he died. Using older maps my son and I discovered it was located just a few houses away from ours it now. He , as well as all the other bottles I've traced, went out with prohibition. Using makers names on the bottoms of the bottles I found most of them were made in the 1890's to about 1915, give or take.
As you can tell I've been doing research on our finds so I have not had time to develop the pictures we took. I will post them first chance I get. I've dug a few bottle dumps before but this was the best. Just the time I spent with my son was worth it all. Next year I know where I will be, in the backyard, hopefully bonding with my son a little more.

bttlmark

Reaction score
Nice finding the local stuff,especially when your first starting out. No better hobby to enjoy with your boy.

zachary

Reaction score
yeah local stuff is always fun, all the research I did in it I tried to include my son in. He was really helpful and actually made it fun.

GACDIG

Reaction score
zac, if I buy an other house, I'm going to look for on with an 1800 dump in the back yard....[:D]
Enjoy the dig...

Jim

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! It's cool to have a good dig spot right in your back yard. Your finds are in a good era for some killer finds-Bitters, inks, and of course my favorite, poisons, just to name a few. Local bottles are always a special treat. Thanks for sharing and please keep us posted on your newly-found goodies. ~Jim

zachary

Reaction score
i did find part of a log cabin bitters, I think, there were pieces of bottle with log and part of bitt in one of the holes. I did find a PAINES CELERY COMPOUND and HAGEES CORDIAL COD-LIVER BOTTLE though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward