Super rare Aussie beer

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is the latest addition to my collection, a rare variation of Fosters Beer.
The embossing reads THE FOSTER BREWING Co Ltd LAGER BEER with an F trade mark in a diamond border on a square sholdered (as apposed to sloping) wine shaped bottle , it's in mint condition.
The Foster brewing co started in 1888 and then became part of C.U.B in 1907, with the embossing on this one it dates from 1889 to 1897 according to the info in Keith Deutsher's book "The Brewerys of Australia" (exellent book BTW).
I'm very pleased with this one [:)] , it's caused a bit of a stir amounst some of the beer bottle collectors already [:D] .

Lj22390.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22390.jpg
    Lj22390.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 81

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Great bottle Irish! I never knew Fosters has been around for so long! Had my first Fosters a few years ago, then another, then another, then another.... then I woke up somewhere South of Figi![:D] You Aussie's must put something other than Barley, Hops, and water in those bottles![;)] Happy Diggin, Kelley

IRISH

Reaction score
It's not a bad drop the old Fosters [:D] , I didn't know you could get Aussie beer in the US. I wonder how much it's changed since the original contents of my one was consumed.

I will take a photo of a common 1890's Fosters and post it up here as a comparison.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I don't believe I have ever seen it in a bottle over here. Comes in a three pack of 24oz cans. As I recall, somewhere on the can is the inscription " Got A Kick Like A Kangaroo"
Next time I'm at the store, I'll take a look. [:D] Kelley

kumtow

Reaction score
Hi Gunsmoke47,
Fosters is not as popular here as it was 30 years ago. Same with Swan Lager. Both these beers are generally exported instead of local consumption. As an ex western australian, now living in Queensland, I don't remember many people in the west drinking Swan lager or Fosters, we all drank Emu Export although Swan was promoted as the best beer in the west. Fosters is a Victorian beer. I swore by Emu Export until I moved to the Eastern states and drank VB (Victoria Bitter) and Carlton Cold. Now Emu Export tastes like camels p**s. In fact I am sure most Victorians drink VB instead of Fosters. You can probably correct me on this Irish as you are a Victorian. VB has now pretty well taken over as the favoured beer all over Australia. Not a bad drop if you are into the odd beer.

leebran20

Reaction score
We've got the bottles as well as the oil cans here in Hawaii -- even got one of our best surfers and former world champions, Sunny Garcia, promoting the stuff in commercials. Haven't drank it regularly in a while, but I agree it ain't bad at all for the light stuff.

That's a beautiful bottle, Irish. Congrats.

pkokich

Reaction score
being a kiwi I'd say most aussie beer tastes like camel p____ though xxxx isn't a bad drop, nothing like a lion red or a steinie but. Was aussie beer exported here back in the day (1800's)??

sauceman

Reaction score
Thats a real nice beer Irish great condition too by the look.
Dont know anyone who drinks Fosters anymore, I used to enjoy it now and then but V.B seems to be the go now.
One beer that really turns me off is West End must be the water quality in S.A.
cheers Glenn

kumtow

Reaction score
Very Very nice bottle Irish. I am green with envy.
Pkokich, mate XXXX is only good if you are a bit blocked up, cos it will soon fix that.

Alan

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey....

I looked at your pic of that beautiful bottle and I remembered why I stopped coming on this site...you guys (and gals) find all the neat bottles and all I find are the $1 and $2 specials at yardsales and flea markets![:(] Oh well...Que sera, que sera!

P.S. Aren't we supposed to be chatting about the bottles...not the contents thereof? Maybe we could start a new forum...maybe we could call it..."What's in the Bottle?" or..."Have you quaffed a few pints lately?" (Tastes great..tastes lite...??????)

The Doc....[X(]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter