sweet gun

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hi Surfaceone,

I did the only thing I knew to do after the recovery, I photographed it and took my info to the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum in Vergennes, VT. They told me how to best preserve it and gave me very specific instructions which I followed and although it is still rusty, it is fully dried out and well stored in a cool, dry environment.
I know a local gunsmith that specializes in restoration of old guns. I am going to have him restore it, mount it and I will present it to my dive partner at his Law Enforcement retirement party.

It is still one of the most awesome finds ever with an u/w metal detector!

FloridaRecycled

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Rockhounder55

Good for you, riverdiver. You're an honorable man. I would have also found a way to get that officer that gun. ~Mike

AT LEAST...he has this picture to hold him till then! What a great retirement gift...even better than a "watch"!!!

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: riverdiver

I know a local gunsmith that specializes in restoration of old guns. I am going to have him restore it, mount it and I will present it to my dive partner at his Law Enforcement retirement party.

It is still one of the most awesome finds ever with an u/w metal detector!

Hello Matt,

This is such a great gift! He's gonna be so delighted. Did'ya give the gunsmith a sneak preview? If so, was he able to tell you anything about the rifle?

"Awesome," is the word!

pfring.jpg

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hi Surfaceone,

Shortly after the conservation process ended, I took the rifle down to Manchester, NH to a Militaria Auction/Appraisal house and had them look it over. One of their employees used a solution on the breech area and was able to pull up an engraved name and set of numbers. Using their microfiche database they produced the name of a gunsmith from Boston who made primarily pistols and this was the gunsmiths first foray into an inexpensive hunting rifle for everyday use, kind of like the Mossbergs of today.
In the dug/ as is condition I brought to them, they valued it at $200.00. "IF" it was mint it could go for upwards of $1500.00, still not a bad find. The gunsmiths name is evading me and now that I have posted the (as found) photo it might be high time to take it down from the rafters and take some more photos and some close-ups too!

surfaceone

Reaction score
The gunsmiths name is evading me and now that I have posted the (as found) photo it might be high time to take it down from the rafters and take some more photos and some close-ups too!

Hey Matt,

Sounds like high time indeed. We'll stay tuned...

1941cg.jpg

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hi judu,

I want to apologize for hijacking this thread...your gun find is awesome!

Attachments

• 14F340586160498CA9268BE20271137E.jpg
    14F340586160498CA9268BE20271137E.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 71

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: judu

i have it soaking overnight so tommorow you might can see it a little better. i was thinking of where this gun has been and how it made its way to the city dump. i bet theres some really interesting history about this gun that i will never know.....

Yeah, Dan,

Me, too, but it sure has been fun...

Did'ya take it outta the secret sauce? Could'ya tell better what it was?
7A1783456FA94755B271C5DA59721F2F.jpg
Any found weapon has gotta instill that ole "I bet there's some story here..." feeling.

lillielangtry1890500ym5.jpg

judu

Reaction score
hey river, i have enjoyed reading this thread now very much. i figure this is everyones thread, i just got it started. the gun you have found is very very cool and even cooler that your giving it back to the officer......i love hearing about underwater finds.

judu

Reaction score
HEY SURFACE, I DID GET IT A LITTLE CLEANER. ILL POST A PICTURE FOR YOU IN A BIT....

riverdiver

Reaction score
Hey juda and surfaceone,

I finally got around to some pictures of the rifle, the battery on my cam died before I got any shots of the butstock area, here are the rest, enjoy and thanks again judu for a great thread.

EF0A981DC7694CD48AB9EAF140BD727C.jpg

Attachments

• EF0A981DC7694CD48AB9EAF140BD727C.jpg
    EF0A981DC7694CD48AB9EAF140BD727C.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 66

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4