Tall, Dark and Smokey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi All -

Thought I'd run another bottle past the group searching for any info available out there.
This bottle is a little different - 20 inches tall, 1 inch opening with a flared lip, 5.25 inch base, no maker marks, 24 sided, machine made and smokey brown in color. I've seen a few other bottles in my travels of the same style but much shorter, they appeared to be decorative repros as they were a gaudy light red and light blue in color. The pic shows a 4 inch medicinal bottle beside this bottle for a little size comparison. If not good for anything else this bottle would at least make a good megaphone if the base was cut off (just kidding).

Any info on this bottle will be appreciated - Thanks - Sam

Wu62165.jpg

Attachments

• Wu62165.jpg
    Wu62165.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 77

diggerjeff

Reaction score
i have the same bottle(?) in cobalt blue. im not sure what to think about it . it sure looks good in the window. i got mine from my grandmother she thought it was a vase . im not sure it isnt.the lip is kind of wrong for a bottle . if it is a bottle i think it might be some modern wine bottle .

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, Sam . . .

I have one of those things also. Mine is blood-red in color. It towers above the top of my light-box at a whopping 29.25" tall. It has a glass-tipped pontil scar.

Of course, I think of this thing not as a bottle, but as a "pampas grass holder." It's a decorator item for that barren corner of the living room.

Your own "bottle" may be closer to a decorator item than to a utility bottle.

Cheers!

--------------Harry Pristis

Ro41973.jpg

Attachments

• Ro41973.jpg
    Ro41973.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 79

Roger

Reaction score
This shape bottle was adopted for the Italian "Liquore Galliano" c1900 and I would guess that is what Sam's bottle contained. Harry's I agree was probably made as a decorative item.

David E

Reaction score
Sure glad somebody posted these, Harry your top looks like one they call flare or trumpet, can't find the other, or bottles I have, but do know they are tooled. Mine (2) are only 14" high and both have 24 seams from bottom to base of neck. No question the 3" necks are tooled. One is Amethyst the other olive green (nice and clear neither
has the phoney look color. The amythyst even has a pot stone along with usual seed bubles on both. They were blown in mold but can seem to find which one of the 24 are the mold seam marks. I think you would call the bottle shape as Waisted.(will get photos soon). Well like you guys it looks to be vase type. But the longer I have them they look like barber, and then again back bar(but colors seem would be wrong for back bar). They are made in the old way but not enough wear on bottom for that. Does the 24 seams from base to lower neck give any clues. Love em only wish I knew. Sam the seams on the bottom of your bottle are the same as mine,

Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1