Texaco Outboard Motor Oil bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

wabnoles

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was walking on the beach today when I spotted some green glass bottle. At first I was angr that someone left trash on the beach and went over to pick it up when I noticed it said Texaco Outboard Motor Oil and I'm thinking "oil doesnt come in glass bottles" lol so I kept it. Anyways, its in pretty corroded condition but it's an old item. It's a green glass bottle made by the Duraglass company and on the bottom are the numbers A-8571. On the top of the bottle is a rusted metal cap with a hole in the middle of it. I found it interesting that there's a design of a bird in flight.

Anyways I am wondering if anyone could help me in 1) dating this bottle and 2) providing more information on the Duraglass Company. Thanks!

--Andrew

wabnoles

Reaction score
Thanks very much!! From my own research on the Texaco logo, I found that the logo used on this bottle was used between 1936 and 1963. From the information I found from those websites you provided, it was made in Alton, IL in 1956. So I uncovered a 50 year old bottle washed up on a beach... thats awesome. The saltwater has pretty much wore off the paint in the label. Does anyone know of a proper way to stabilize it and also what would be a good way to clean out the interior.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
you could dpray polyurethane on the lable, but ive never tried it so i dont know how well it works, to clean the inside you can use many different methods, runa search on this forum and look around

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem