THE 3rd MOST POPULAR ACL?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
New Title ... (Removing the 3rd)

THE MOST POPULAR ACL?

There are at least a dozen threads like this one in the A-B.net archives, many of which I re-read recently while doing research for this one. While reading through those threads I was reminded that more often than not they eventually develop into "my favorite want/wish list acls" instead of "which acls do you think are the most popular and most sought after among the majority of collectors?" One possible explanation for this might have to do with the fact that so many collectors are primarily focused on regional bottles in their local area and/or bottles that fall into their particular collecting niche as opposed to what might be the most popular acls nationwide. If it were possible to track eBay sales as to which acls sell more than any others, it wouldn't surprise me if a national brand like Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, 7up, Dr Pepper, Hires, etc; were the top sellers. If this is truly the case, does that mean national brands are the most popular and most sought after bottles in the country? Or does it mean more of those types of bottles sell simply because there are more of them available? The answer is probably the latter. And yet, even with this said, I remain boggled as to why we can't agree on ...

Which individual acl soda bottle is the most popular and most sought after in America by the majority of collectors?

Note: The key words here are "popular" and "majority"

Is there an answer to this question? And if so, will we ever know it?

Please note I am not being argumentative here but rather, genuinely curious.

Thanks again

Bob

P.S.

Let's cut to the chase and try this ...

Hypothetical / Scenario / Decision

If you attended a bottle show and came across the following acls lined up in a row on a display table, and all of them were in mint condition and priced exactly the same at $500, and you could only buy one and you only had $500 to spend, which one would you buy?

I'll post my vote later as I really haven't decided yet. It's a tough decision because I like all of them ... and have none of them!

Note: The bottle you hypothetically choose is to be kept and not re-sold for a higher price.

1. 7up - 1935 - w/ large 7
2. All American
3. Big Hit
4. Brown Boy
5. Cleo Cola
6. Deacon Jones
7. Devil Shake
8. Dr Pepper - candy-stripe
9. Jumbo - A Super Cola (1934)
10. Kist - amber
11. Mountain Dew - Barney and Ally
12. Mountain Dew - party Jug
13. My Favorite - w/ pin-up girl

jblaylock

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

ORIGINAL: jblaylock

My vote for Pepsi ACL.... the Pep Kola ACL

j ~

If you have a scan from the Ayer's book of the Pep-Kola acl I'd love to see it. I've never seen one! I looked around but couldn't find a picture of one anywhere. But I did find this ...

http://www.essortment.com/history-pepsi-cola-41716.html

"Bradham began to wonder if he should obtain a patent on the Pepsi-Cola trademark. The reason was that he was concerned regarding the formula for the drink. So, on November 23, 1902 he applied for a patent. But, Bradham's luck ran out. There was a company with a product called Pep-Kola, which was too similar to the Pepsi-Cola. Therefore, the Pepsi-Cola trademark was rejected. What was Bradham to do? He had worked so hard to formulate this drink and was not about to give up. He bought the trademark Pep-Kola for $100. This was purchased from the Alphasol Company. Bradham's dream began, as Pepsi-Cola became the trademark. With this event in history, the starting date for Pepsi-Cola is unsure. But it was determined that 1898 was the starting date for this delicious drink."

Thanks

Bob

Here's the photo from the Ayer's book. It's interesting that Bradham bought the trademark in the early 1900's, but this bottle is clearly from the 50's.

IMG_20130411_215115_20130411215404688_001.jpg

IMG_20130411_214954_20130411215443339_001.jpg

Uncle_Jarvis

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

Just two cents from a non acl collector, but that "party jug" doesnt even begin to hold a candle to most of those purty gals acls, and The second place acl isnt much better..........

Thanks , I feel the same way.

Osia: You are right about not many folks wanting a party jug for that $$ but I feel its irrelevant because the . ie (10) folks that do want one will eagerly spend $3K .. All it takes is one. It would sell like a hot cake encrusted in gold. . [;)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Gracias' amigo.

A super acl that I have never seen a picture of before and am adding to the above list ...

14. Pep-Kola

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
On JayBeck's behalf I thought I'd add this picture of a 3-color All American. No doubt about it, it's definitely a cool bottle and one I would love to have. I wonder if it comes in a 10 or 12 ounce?

7F56CB18639141F884D1B074F06391C8.jpg

Attachments

• 7F56CB18639141F884D1B074F06391C8.jpg
    7F56CB18639141F884D1B074F06391C8.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 94

JayBeck

Reaction score
In the hypothetical scenario, given all the factors, I think I would choose the Big Hit bottle so my vote is for #3

SPB, thanks for posting a photo of the 3-color All American. It looks way better than the 2-color version. I would like to find that clear glass version because mine is green glass. I have only seen the All American bottles with these graphics in quart size. I have seen smaller sized bottles from the same company but the labels are quite boring in comparison. Would be neat to see a 7, 10 or 12 oz size for sure.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Jay ~

Thanks a million for your vote. This thread is intended to be for fun and by no means is the final word.

I have narrowed my choice down to three possible canditates as to what I feel might be the most popular and in demand acl in America. My three current possibilites, but in no particular order, are ...

1. Cleo Cola
2. Big Hit
3. Dr Pepper candy-stripe

There are three variations of the Cleo Cola bottle pictured below and I believe it's the one where she's outlined in red that is the hardest to find. This is another cool acl that I don't have but would love to own.

Pictures of all 14 bottles on the list have been posted now.

6FA46F47ED944DCCBEA8F9D22C1FB58C.jpg

Attachments

• 6FA46F47ED944DCCBEA8F9D22C1FB58C.jpg
    6FA46F47ED944DCCBEA8F9D22C1FB58C.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 92

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
To help make up my mind, I presented myself with another scenario in that the hypothetical bottle show is closing and I only have five minutes to decide and pay for my bottle. With this in mind I grab and pay for the ...

BIG HIT

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
But just as I'm walking out the door I discover another $500 I had stashed in my boot and immediately go back to the display table and buy the ...

Dr Pepper candy-stripe

I leave a very happy collector with what I believe are two of the most popular and sought after acls in America ... at least by "advanced" collectors.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4