The Etna Glass works at the Tuskarora Creek 4 miles north of Frederickstown Maryland 1752

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I know Matt if I had said Matt lives about 3/4s of a mile from the works you would have said as the Crow fly's but not in Drive time[:D]. I see the route you would have to take just to get out of your development it looks like just shy of a half mile alone.....As for the old farm house being on .......Opposumtownpike.....................................As long as Uncle Jed,Ellie May,Jethro and Granny don't live in the old farm house it is probably alright..........[8D] So, when are you going to introduce yourself to them to get permission Matt to check out the rear yard !!

HH White

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Here is the large the shard Matt sent me.It is 8 inches by 4 inches roughly in size.Bottle glass green loaded with imperfections but actually quite even in thickness. I was pretty much dusk outside when I opened the package so the pictures outside are not the best. I will take better pictures on the first sunny day available.

6EB2116DCEFA4E6E8691CD5978AC79C5.jpg

Nice to see some interest in window glass. There were many attempts by early glass houses to make a quality window glass
and quite a few failed for a number of reasons. It's well documented that what was called "hollow ware" (bowls, pitchers, jars and bottles)
was produced at these early factories and I feel they are under appreciated by collectors. Often written off as aqua, they come in a wide
range of subtle light blues and greens.
I'm sending a photo of some pieces I consider to have made from window glass. With the exception of the bullseye I can't say for sure
of course but the glass has a brilliance and quality makers of window glass strove for. In fact a few went out of business because
the local sand just didn't cut it.

0687F5051EBA46338114231474B21B67.jpg

Attachments

• 0687F5051EBA46338114231474B21B67.jpg
    0687F5051EBA46338114231474B21B67.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 142

Melanie

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here and not a glass collector (yet?), but am a public history student, working on the my last paper for my BA. I am working on a timeline for some of these early MD/PA glass houses. First, I don't believe Dulany's Glass works was called Aetna/Etna, but was the Tuscarora Glass works as evidence by Joseph Doll's Ledgers which begin in 1771. The Aetna/Etna glass works was owned by Thomas Johnson. Johnson’s Aetna Glassworks was located southeast of Frederick Town on the Johnson farm on Bush Creek. Dennis Griffith Map (1794) incorrectly indicates Dulany's Tuscarora's site as Aetna/Etna. The Varle Map of 1808 shows the location of an "Old glass-works" along Tuscacora Creek about three miles north of Frederick Town.

I am trying to determine the approximate start date of Dulany's Tuscarora Glass works. Was it started by Daniel Dulany II (1685–1753) or Daniel Dulany III (June 28, 1722 – March 17, 1797)? I understand that cousin Engle argues that production started there in 1753, but that is based on speculation and the existence of the brewery and bottled ale, but doesn't conclusively link those bottles to Dulany's Tuscarora Glass works.

Do you have any reference books that indicate the production state date of Dulany's Tuscarora Glass works? If so, are you able to share information this with the group?

After I finish my paper, I will share it with you all, and it has permanent hyperlinks to all the original source documents.

Melanie

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up some of the confusion Melanie. My wife is a Vice President at a college and I was able to gain access to some records regarding the Glass works in the Library of Congress. Are you located close to the Tuskorora works? The site needs to be visited to determine what type of glass was manufactured there.The Monacy Ale was most likely bottled locally using a nearby glass works because of the cost to transport glass to this remote area in the 1750 time period would have been cost prohibitive. All of the German settled villages and towns in the 1700s in the colonies had brewery's producing a local ale. That is all I know about Tuskorora If you want, I can help you with a glass factory I am quite familiar with and have family ledgers and papers from the mid 1700s to back up my information that being Wistarburgh In Salem County New Jersey the oldest most successful glass works in the colonial time period 1739 to 1782. I have Glass,bottles, glass shards,Family business ledger,Signatures,land Deeds,ect.If you can include these works in your paper I would be more then glad to help you out.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Melanie,
I will try and look through my records of information to find out which Dulaney was affiliated with the glass works.Thanks for posting and we look forward to your input.

rreeder

Reaction score
Hi, reviving this thread about the Old Tuscarora Glassworks. We bought this property 2 years ago and I am interested in the historic glassworks site. If anyone has expertise and wants to document this site, for a research project, I am open to discussing that. You can reach me at tuscaroracreekfarm@gmail.com.
Rachael

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler