The NUKER'S keep on rolling!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hail Murphy, full of sh*t, the law is with thee.....
I don't know that one so I made that up.
Is three Que Sera Sera's OK instead. [8|]

bostaurus

Reaction score
I think the color confusion results when we compare the purple and straw colors we are familiar with when these old clear bottles where exposed to a lot of sun or strong UV light and these other colors.
These "new" colors are being exposed to a different form or forms of radiation. While I am not a physicist or electrical engineer[:)] I would think that these colors would be different even in bottles made at the same time from the same batch of glass depending on the type of radiation, length of exposure, and chemical make-up of the glass. It is hard for us to know what color they started with and what radiation they used and for how long.
I took a Nuclear Science course many, many years ago, passing by the skin of my teeth, and have forgotten most of it. Use or lose kind of thing..
There are others on this forum that can speak to this in a much more informed manner.

Trailrunner1974

Reaction score
I went into an antique mall yesterday and the nukes are moving in. There was one booth that was nothing but 100's of purple bottles. All sizes shapes and companies.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:mad:] Just saw a small 1/2 pint with lid mason jar on flea-bay in that sick lookin citron-greeny color, twas a good jar before they got to it[:mad:]

appliedlips

Reaction score
The ugly citron straw colors will revert back to there original colors,this can be sped up with heat. Purples will stay and are permenant.

As far as the statements of cobalt turning green when exposed does any one have experience with this firsthand? I think speculation leads to continued misinformation. I think there is a high probability of newer machine made cobalts turning shades of green due to selenium in the batches. If so,chances are this would be a temporary change. Aqua glass can turn many shades as seen with insulators, the only results I have seen are purples and shades of blue.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
does any one have experience with this firsthand?
I've had second hand info from sellers at shows that admit they did it. They usually ask in the $5-10 range for a Bromo. First hand info, no, never tried it.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Alls I know of for sure is that when aqua glass is put under radiation it turns that sickly puke green of the Kilmers bottle I asked Jim to post at the beginning of this post. you all can take it from there, radiated glass is hurting the hobby cause it is fooling new collectors and some of the people who should know better, I asked Jim about the Kilmers because I wanted it to be real, and value his opinion, but he agreed with me that it had been nuked, so I didn't bid on it, and thought that this would be a real good example of what NOT TO BUY..........

bostaurus

Reaction score
Would the color depend on the type of radiation? I have no knowledge of what kind of reaction is taking place in the glass. Not that it is that important..a 'messed with' bottle is a 'messed with' bottle. Just my curiosity.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776