The soda shards of our lives

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Tell me about the one that got away, and why it hurts.

Now, I have only been involved with this hobby for about 15 months, so bear with me as the following story is my best example to date.

This past April while on a camping/road trip, the girlfriend and I were looking for old exposed bottles in the general vicinity of Darwin, California, when she found this shard:

NuGrape2.jpg

Now, I know what you are thinking: "Yeah, big deal, its a 1948 NuGrape that you would be lucky to Ebay for $30 on a good day."

Well, I forgot to tell you that it was bottled in Lone Pine, California. Therefore, I'd like to know....just how many 1948 NuGrape's in excellent condition bottled in Lone Pine are out there? (it would have been in excellent condition if whole.)

Here are 5 reasons why this shard really burns me up:

1. I am a real stickler for old soda bottles that were bottled in California, but more specifically, remote California desert locales. (if whole, the NuGrape shard being the quintessential case of this)
2. I really like everything about this bottle anyways - the styling and colors, etc. Finding a whole one would have really taken the cake for me.
3. If whole, it would have most likely been worth a pretty penny.
4. If whole, there would have been an incredibly wonderful memory associated with this find.
5. Finding old California soda bottles in California is pretty dang hard - this is not the midwest or east coast. We do not have basements! Got that?

For what its worth, this shard is currently sitting amongst my other treasured "desert junk" finds, which are proudly on display in the living room.

At any rate, let's hear your story!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.