The ultimate British pontiled cure .... ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
I did a big swap deal last Sunday which netted me this bottle. It's clear flint / lead glass, a very impressive large size (almost 8" tall) and even without any colour is probably the most sought after of all British pontiled cures. Possibly only beaten by the (1 only known) green example, and the (also 1 only known) quart size dark olive Dr Websters Anglican Duplex.

"By His Majesty's // Dr / Sibly's / Solar / Tincture // Royal Letters Patent // [sun above heraldic shield bearing the motto 'Triumpho Morte Tam Vita']"

This bottle dates between 1796 and about 1840. Most likely is pre 1830.

This basic design, with lots of writing and a (usually fake / spurious) shield or coat of arms was common on many English cures up to about 1830 - 40, including Dr Websters, Ruspinis, Dr Brodums, Sigmonds, etc, etc.

Ebenezer Sibly (1751 - 1799) was famous in his own time (and now - try googling him) as a high profile freemason and political activitist, author, occultist and astrologer, as well as a scientist and a bit of a charlatan, all at the same time.

When Sibly was alive he was less well known for his medicine than for these other activities. His medicine was still advertised 60 years after his death, but the bottles are incredibly rare. Probably only 8 - 10 examples known, all different. The motto translates as 'I triumph in death as in life'. Or maybe, depending on where you start reading it, as 'And so life triumphs over death'. Anyone on here a latin scholar? Personally I think the first one is right, but the second one sounds better for a cure.

Although Sibly himself did not make very many outrageous claims for the medicine, after he was gone his successors (R. Saffell inherited the rights to the medicine) made many extreme claims for it, including that it 'restores life in the event of sudden death'.

This one has an all-over patina that I'm not going to get cleaned off.

Without doubt the high spot in my collection, and unlikely to be bettered by me.

CB691C3ECF2E4ED6942F337715A12CF5.jpg

Attachments

• CB691C3ECF2E4ED6942F337715A12CF5.jpg
    CB691C3ECF2E4ED6942F337715A12CF5.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 101

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
That is a wonderful looking bottle Jerry! Congratulations! Kelley

bearswede

Reaction score
Fantastic bottle, Jerry... How many progeny did it cost? Altho I prefer my glass sparkling clean, I can see where I might be torn when it came to that old sole you've got there... Really, really nice...

Ron

deepwoods

Reaction score
Phenomenal bottle. One would think the maker came from a line of alchemists. Beautiful!

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Jerry, It has all been said and I whole heartedly agree. Excellent!!!

So, what are you going to do now that you no longer have a house???[sm=lol.gif]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229