The W. J. Hill Dump Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Well after a few phone calls me and Bombboy finally made it to the dump where I scored the dandy little W.J. Hill Jug. Well we tore that dump a new wahoo and pulled out some more glass and I got 2 more pieces of stoneware. Mark if you change your mind about the J.J.Killen's then you know your more then welcome to it. I'll post a clean up tomorrow. Right now I'm fighting to stay awake long enough to post this little bit. I had a blast and I want to thank Mark for coming out to do some antique farmin' with me today. Well here's some pics and video. Swiz

IMG_4513.jpg

IMG_4524.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

This is a milk can that must be rotted at one end because its being used as a runway into a critter hole.
IMG_4520.jpg

http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n35/swizzlenutz/?action=view&current=MVI_4515.mp4

swizzle

Reaction score
That video link doesn't stick out much does it? Oh well. Here's a quick overview of the clean up. I think I did pretty well and maybe Bombboy can throw on a few of his take soon. Swiz

J.J. Killen. The lip is suppose to be blue but the cobalt was put on very well. My son Shane helped me to display a few of them.
IMG_4540.jpg

Freed's Big Liquor Store Schenectady NY
IMG_4536.jpg

My son's "Whistle Bottles".
IMG_4532-1.jpg

Ultra Rare Clorox with original Ultra Rare Stopper and Contents!!! $3,000 anyone?
IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4547.jpg

IMG_4548.jpg

Moone's Emerald Oil. To bad its cracked. Not a big money bottle but some great color.
IMG_4559.jpg

Silmerine?!? What the heck is this one? I wasn't going to write it down and I knew if I didn't bing it with me that I'd forget to look it up.
IMG_4560.jpg

Everything back by the demi is from a previous dig and a junk sale.
IMG_4553.jpg

madman

Reaction score
yo swiz nice digs! its not every day you can pull stoneware out of the weeds!

Lordbud

Reaction score
Does the Freed's qualify as a mini-jug? Nice style for a small jug. The local mini-jugs from around here are well out of my price range.

lexdigger

Reaction score
"Catch and Release"... I like that! LOL
I wouldn't call the Freds a "mini" jug, but I'd say it's just as valuable. Being that it says Liquor store on it makes it even more desierable! For whatever reason, small jugs seem to bring more money than the larger ones unless it's something ultra rare.

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx guys, My mini jug has a busted handle and that chip out of the front. That's in for repairs. $25 to repair that. I've only found one other example online and that is for sale for $125, the J. J. Killen bottle is on an auction site. Estimated price $100 to $150, relized price $50 and that had some lip chips. Mine has a very fine hairline crack down the front. You really have to look to see it. I don't even think it matters. Besides all 3 stoners I've pulled out of this dump are going on my shelf. I hope to be digging it again soon with Mark and maybe he'll get his shot at a nice stoner. All 3 of these were found within 5 feet of each other. Now I'm dead locked in the roots of that large birch that the milk can is holding up. I got down 3 feet and pulled out an early crown but now I'm getting into a layer of roots, rusty tin and 1920's stuff. There's more there. I can't wait to go back. Next week is my first trip to the Utica Dump. I'm hoping to post some more high quality goodies then. Remember everyone the future of bottle digging is up to you. Watch the video and see what I mean. Start to practice Catch & Release to ensure quality digs for our childrens children. Thanx for reading and Happy Father's Day. Swiz

green dragon

Reaction score
looks like a fun dig - always great to meet ppl in person and dig together.... got to do that last week, even though we found little ... ( need help in Utica ? thats halfway for me :) .

funny you should mention the Clorox and photo it - I got a few bottles from my uncle last week ( he was an active digger in the 70s ), and there was a clorox he spcifically mentioned being rare due to the original cork still in it - usually long gone.
have to clean the stuff I got from him, it;s common overall, but there was a neat embalming fluid bottle, that ones creepy , lol.....

he;s trying to get me a permission for a small farm dump where he found the emballming fluid and most of these some years back, he;s certain noone has dug it, cause it borders his property.

keep the posts coming, I need to get pics and post meself,

~ AL

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973