The Wait Was Worth It!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
Greetings and Salutations,

I have been so busy working I haven't been able to dig in quite awhile. I haven't even had time to lurk let alone post here. I hit a spot I noticed some time back in an alley in Downtown. It started out pretty rough going through sunken concrete. That's how I found this one. then I hit a foot of heavy slag and a two feet of River Gravel. There was also a little brick ruble mixed in. at about 4 feet or so I hit the first of the pontils. Everything that was in this hole was either Iron or Open Pontil. The neighbor got nosey and called the police to tell them I was digging on the lot next door. Worst part about it was that she didn't even know who owned it or whether I had permission or not. Make a long story shorter, I have to get "written permission" to finish the hole. I filled it in at the request of the fine Officer and left. I did find an open pontil "H.G. FARRELL'S / ARABIAN / LINIMENT / PEORIA"

I shall return!
103_2758.jpg

103_2763.jpg

103_2768.jpg

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
Anyways,
There was no liner and just about one foot to one and a half feet of Use Layer. The total depth of the hole was about five to six feet.
I also have a other bits and pieces I saved . I really have to get rid of all those. It's a bad habit keeping junk.
I'm going back and finishing with a note from the property owner. I think its a 4x? I really only did get one corner cleaned to the sand and gravel bottom. As Doug said and showed in his post the Valley has a sandy gravely composition. Very dangerous digging. Even worse when there are no constructed sides
103_2761.jpg

103_2762.jpg

103_2767.jpg

logueb

Reaction score
Great start Zane, I was wondering what in the heck was going on. Understand the working thing, though. Work is eating up all my digging time. The money for the OT will come in handy, but just too tired after 10 and 11 hours.

karenandgordonmyers

Reaction score
great start zane, you seem to be able to sniff out some great priveys. maybe you should place a headstone for nosey neighbors when your finished with the pit.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
What I wana know is where are all the (6) foot pits around here? lol
12 foot down and burried a 7 footer.that baby may be a well.

80115ECDF3834A8CA84A90FFF62FA625.jpg

Attachments

• 80115ECDF3834A8CA84A90FFF62FA625.jpg
    80115ECDF3834A8CA84A90FFF62FA625.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 45

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
my brother lives in Peoria, Illinois. Just a useless fact [:D].

Cool bottle.

Matt.

appliedlips

Reaction score
Matt with a useless fact?I am shocked.Haha!Have your brother get to digging because there is plenty of good stuff to dig there.Just really have to watch some of those neighborhoods and the sandy soil.Doug

appliedlips

Reaction score
Zane,

When are you going back?Looks like it could be a good one for sure.The Farrell's are nice bottles but relatively common but still bring $30-$40 normally.They used to be a little more scarce but I watched dozens of them be dug during the construction of the new baseball stadium in St.Louis a few years back.The larger sizes are a still a little harder to come by.Good luck,Doug

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
Doug,

Im guessing youve dug there? i just talked to my brother for the first time in 4 months about a week ago. he told me to get messed up for my 21st birthday. we got to talking about digging. he said hes got some permissions, but he doesnt really care to dig. I wasnt really sure how old the town was, and he said something about it being new and old. Its a 9 hour drive for me. is it worth it? Matt.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson