This has a good message

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GeorgiaVol

Reaction score
***Don't Leave It On The Desk***

There was a certain Professor of Religion named Dr. Christianson, a studious man, who taught at a small college in the western United States. Dr. Christianson taught the required survey course in Christianity at this particular institution. Every student was required to take this course his freshman year, regardless of his or her major.

Although Dr. Christianson tried hard to communicate the essence of the gospel in his class, he found that most of his students looked upon the course as nothing but required drudgery. Despite his best efforts, most students refused to take Christianity seriously.

This year, Dr. Christianson had a special student named Steve. Steve was only a freshman, but was studying with the intent of going onto seminary for the ministry. Steve was popular, well liked, and he was an imposing physical specimen. He was now the starting center on the school football team, and was the best student in the professor's class.

One day, Dr. Christianson asked Steve to stay after class so he could talk with him.

"How many push-ups can you do?"

Steve said, "I do about 200 every night."

"200? That's pretty good, Steve," Dr. Christianson said. "Do you think you could do 300?"

Steve replied, "I don't know.... I've never done 300 at a time."

"Do you think you could?" again asked Dr. Christianson.

"Well, I can try," said Steve.

"Can you do 300 in sets of 10? I have a class project in mind and I need you to do about 300 push-ups in sets of ten for this to work. Can you do it? I need you to tell me if you can do it," said the professor.

Steve said, "Well... I think I can...yeah, I can do it."

Dr. Christianson said, "Good! I need you to do this on Friday. Let me explain what I have in mind."

Friday came and Steve got to class early and sat in the front of the room. When class started, the professor pulled out a big box of 20 donuts. No, these weren't the normal kinds of donuts, they were the extra fancy BIG kind, with cream centers and frosting swirls. Everyone was pretty excited. It was Friday, the last class of the day, and they were going to get an early start on the weekend with a party in Dr. Christianson's class.

Dr. Christianson went to the first girl in the first row and asked, "Cynthia, do you want to have one of these donuts?"

Cynthia said, "Yes."

Dr. Christianson then turned to Steve and asked, "Steve, would you do ten push-ups so that Cynthia can have a donut?"

"Sure..." Steve jumped down from his desk to do a quick ten. Then Steve again sat in his desk. Dr. Christianson put a donut on Cynthia's desk.

Dr. Christianson then went to Joe, the next person, and asked, "Joe, do you want a donut?"

Joe said, "Yes." Dr. Christianson asked, "Steve would you do ten push-ups so Joe can have a donut?"

Steve did ten push-ups, Joe got a donut. And so it went, down the first aisle, Steve did ten push-ups for every person before they got their donut.

Walking down the second aisle, Dr. Christianson came to Scott. Scott was on the basketball team, and in as good condition as Steve. He was very popular and never lacking for female companionship.

When the professor asked, "Scott, do you want a donut?"

Scott's reply was, "Well, can I do my own push-ups?"

Dr. Christianson said, "No, Steve has to do them."

Then Scott said, "Well, I don't want one then."

Dr. Christianson shrugged and then turned to Steve and asked, "Steve, would you do ten push-ups so Scott can have a donut he doesn't want?"

With perfect obedience Steve started to do ten push-ups.

Scott said, "HEY! I said I didn't want one!"

Dr. Christianson said, "Look! this is my classroom, my desks, and these are my donuts. Just leave it on the desk if you don't want it." And he put a donut on Scott's desk.

Now by this time, Steve had begun to slow down a little. He just stayed on the floor between sets because it took too much effort to be getting up and down. You could start to see a little perspiration coming out around his brow.

Dr. Christianson started down the third row. Now the students were beginning to get a little angry. Dr. Christianson asked Jenny, "Jenny, do you want a donut?"

Sternly, Jenny said, "No."

Then Dr. Christianson asked Steve, "Steve, would you do ten more push-ups so Jenny can have a donut she doesn't want?"

Steve did ten....Jenny got a donut.

By now, a growing sense of uneasiness filled the room. The students were beginning to s say "No" and there were all these uneaten donuts on the desks.

Steve also had to really put forth a lot of extra effort to get these push-ups done for each donut.
There began to be a small pool of sweat on the floor beneath his face, his arms and brow were beginning to get red because of the physical effort involved.

Dr. Christianson asked Robert, who was the most vocal unbeliever in the class, to watch Steve do each push up to make sure he did the full ten push-ups in a set because he couldn't bear to watch all of Steve's work for all of those uneaten donuts. He sent Robert over to where Steve was so Robert could count the set and watch Steve closely.

Dr. Christianson started down the fourth row. During his class, however, some students from other classes had wandered in and sat down on the steps along the radiators that ran down the sides of the room. When the professor realized this, he did a quick count and saw that now there were 34 students in the room. He started to worry if Steve would be able to make it.

Dr. Christianson went on to the next person and the next and the next. Near the end of that row, Steve was really having a rough time. He was taking a lot more time to complete each set.

Steve asked Dr. Christianson, "Do I have to make my nose touch on each one?"

Dr. Christianson thought for a moment, "Well, they're your push-ups. You are in charge now. You can do them any way that you want." And Dr.. Christianson went on.

A few moments later, Jason, a recent transfer student, came to the room and was about to come in when all the students yelled in one voice, "NO! Don't come in! Stay out!"

Jason didn't know what was going on. Steve picked up his head and said, "No, let him come."

Professor Christianson said, "You realize that if Jason comes in you will have to do ten push-ups for him?"

Steve said, "Yes, let him come in. Give him a donut."

Dr. Christianson said, "Okay, Steve, I'll let you get Jason's out of the way right now. Jason, do you want a donut?"

Jason, new to the room, hardly knew what was going on. "Yes," he said, "give me a donut."

"Steve, will you do ten push-ups so that Jason can have a donut?"

Steve did ten push-ups very slowly and with great effort. Jason, bewildered, was handed a donut and sat down.

Dr. Christianson finished the fourth row, and then started on those visitors seated by the heaters. Steve's arms were now shaking with each push-up in a struggle to lift himself against the force of gravity. By this time, sweat was profusely dropping off of his face, there was no sound except his heavy breathing; there was not a dry eye in the room.

The very last two students in the room were two young women, both cheerleaders, and very popular. Dr. Christianson went to Linda, the second to last, and asked, "Linda, do you want a donut?"

Linda said, very sadly, "No, thank you."

Professor Christianson quietly asked, "Steve, would you do ten push-ups so that Linda can have a donut she doesn't want?"

Grunting from the effort, Steve did ten very slow push-ups for Linda.

Then Dr. Christianson turned to the last girl, Susan. "Susan, do you want a donut?"

Susan, with tears flowing down her face, began to cry. "Dr. Christianson, why can't I help him?"

Dr. Christianson, with tears of his own, said, "No, Steve has to do it alone, I have given him this task and he is in charge of seeing that everyone has an opportunity for a donut whether they want it or not. When I decided to have a party this last day of class, I looked at my grade book. Steve here is the only student with a perfect grade. Everyone else has failed a test, skipped class, or offered me inferior work. Steve told me that in football practice, when a player messes up he must do push-ups. I told Steve that none of you could come to my party unless he paid the price by doing your push ups. He and I made a deal for your sakes."

"Steve, would you do ten push-ups so Susan can have a donut?"

As Steve very slowly finished his last push-up, with the understanding that he had accomplished all that was required of him, having done 350 push-ups, his arms buckled beneath him and he fell to the floor.

Dr. Christianson turned to the room and said. "And so it was, that our Savior, Jesus Christ, on the cross, pleaded to the Father, 'into thy hands I commend my spirit.' With the understanding that He had done everything that was required of Him, He yielded up His life. And like some of those in this room, many of us leave the gift on the desk, uneaten."

Two students helped Steve up off the floor and to a seat, physically exhausted, but wearing a thin smile.

"Well done, good and faithful servant," said the professor, adding "Not all sermons are preached in words."

Turning to his class, the professor said, "My wish is that you might understand and fully comprehend all the riches of grace and mercy that have been given to you through the sacrifice of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. He spared not only His Begotten Son, but gave Him up for us all, for the whole Church, now and forever. Whether or not we choose to accept His gift to us, the price has been paid."

"Wouldn't you be foolish and ungrateful to leave it lying on the desk?"

glass man

Reaction score
GREAT AND WONDERFUL MESSAGE! [&:] ANOTHER MESSEGE IN THERE,GOOD THANG IT WAS STEVE AND NOT ME, CAUSE NOBODY WOULD HAVE NOT GOTTEN A CRISPY CREAM!!! [:)]

THANKS MATT !! [&:]

JAMIE

Stardust

Reaction score
Hey Matt,
That was a really nice message. I thought about you last week as I'm selling everything I own and came across one of those little people your wife collects in the attic. It gave me a little chuckle. [:D] Hope all is well & when I get up there again I'll have to see if you have that one and find a way to send it to you.
take care and keep those stories coming!
xxx's
star~

Plumbata

Reaction score
I get it, but...

There are so many holes in the construction of the story that it wouldn't be suited to be used as a sieve. I endured 12 tedious years of a Christian education and unfortunately possess a decent background in Christian studies. So much time wasted which could have been spent learning about reality. Ah well.

It is a nice little read for those of you who see the world through a Judeo-Christian colored lens, and it recreates acceptably the stereotypical Christian dogma regarding Christ being sacrificed for our sins whether we care or not, but it is not a universally absolute representation of reality, as it is little more than a subjectively percieved interpretation perpetuated by fonts of authority and power to the end of controlling populations for 1,629 years. Continental Africans wouldn't understand the story, and neither would most Asians or Indians. It is a story that works for a decent portion of Western society but is entirely inapplicable to the lives, culture, and experiences of the majority of the world. With that being the case, do you honestly believe that those people do not deserve the experience of a beautiful eternity (if it even exists)?

Unadulterated Native Americans, for example, would likely see the teacher as a coercive embodiment of evil, and the students who refused the doughnuts as good people, because of their innate adherence to the policy of interpersonal non-interferance. The whole trope of self-sacrifice for the salvation of souls is culturally constrained, and thus not a universal and eternal human truth, let alone cosmic truth.

If Christianity, in one of its many thousands of interpretations extant today helps you lead a better life, then amen and more power to you. It is not my place to take that away from you, but don't for a second think that the worship of Christ, God, the Holy Spirit, or the non-virginal Mother Mary is the only way to reach spiritual salvation. If you actually believe it then you really aren't too intelligent, and thus, probably dead wrong. Sorry bout'chya. Human beings are stupid creatures, objectively speaking, so to claim absolute knowledge of forces which lie outside the mechanics of the universe is a demonstration of ignorance rather than enlightenment. Care to argue? If you can write a book which encompasses the entirety of quantum mechanics and the physics which created and currently guide the universe, then maybe possibly your beliefs may have a small grain of merit, but if you are like the rest of us, then please understand that your interpretation in entirely unique, subjective, and inapplicable to true external reality.

Anyway, I don't hate or discriminate against believers. Most of them are good people at heart and they strive to live good and fulfilling lives, and they have selflessly helped me and others in times of need. I just don't like such people possessing the arrogance requisite to the perception that what they believe is inalterable truth. That is just plain silly. I have plenty of friends which lie all along the spectrum; from priests to militant atheists, and what is more apparent than anything else is the truth of the intractably inherent subjectivity which plagues the entirety of conscious human existance.

To quote Thomas Jefferson:
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blind-folded fear."

GeorgiaVol

Reaction score
Plumbata,

While I appreciate your well thought out opinion, just understand that I look at the world as a product of a creator. If you do not that is fine, you are free to have your opinions. But do not declare anyone's beliefs as "wrong". Just as I have no proof to give you to prove my beliefs right, you have no proof to prove them wrong. They are beliefs. That is faith. I CHOOSE to put mine in my God. With proof, no faith would be required, and this discussion would be pointless. You are free to believe or not believe WHATEVER you choose, and I will not belittle anything you post on your lack of faith. Although I would like to read an inspiring story of the atheist who taught a good moral lesson to explain why anyone should strive for a better life if there is no "reward" or "penalty" for your actions in this life. Seems kinda empty to me. So if you like the stories, then read them, smile, take a little with you when you go. If not, then shrug your shoulders and move onto something that DOES interest you. But DO NOT tell me that what I believe is "wrong".

BTW:
I always felt that people who do not believe in a god have more faith than all of us believers. Looking at any living thing or the earth or universe, is like looking at a sky scraper and saying "Isn't it amazing that after billions of years of random events, and molecules joining together randomly that such a structure could be put together simply by chance without a purpose or design." Not exactly a good argument in my book. Anyway just my thoughts.

capsoda

Reaction score
I liked it but then I didn't analyze it. Just took it for what it was, a neat story with a singular point pretty much meant for the crowd who will read it.

I don't do organized religion and the church thing. To be truthful I can't seem to find a preacher who is telling the truth or knows what he is talking about. Can't say I'm a believer because I feel that I know it for a fact and if you know that something is a fact you don't believe you know. You'll probably never meet another Christian like me though. I don't tell others their brand is right or wrong or try particularly hard to prove what I know. Tried the "Being Dead" a few times but here I am. What I may have seen or heard while dancing around the threshold didn't sway me one way or the other and I would prefer not to do it again until the last day. It ain't all it is built up to be if you ask me. I have experienced the last seconds of life too many times and I can tell you that from the most annoying “You need to be saved†Jesus freak all the way to the tightest “I don’t believe in anything†atheist that even “Mama†comes in second to Jesus. Never heard an atheist scream “Money†or “Oblivion†but I have heard them convert to Christianity faster than you can blink and that goes for most anyone except Muslims. Couldn’t understand what he was saying. I did hear a Buddhist scream for Jesus but he could have been caught up in the moment. It doesn’t really matter what you believe or whether or not it was a correct analogy it is a meaningful story to Matt and that should be enough.

A good message indeed Matt. Thank You.

glass man

Reaction score
I'M BOLD AS LOVE JUST ASK THE AXIS ,HE KNOWS EVERY THING!

IF ANY ONE WANTS TO KNOW IF JESUS,GOD ETC. IS REAL OR NOT THEN REALLY ASK HIM! REALLY SEEK! THE BIBLE SAYS SEEK AND YOU WILL FIND! I PROMISE IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL FIND HIM! OR THAT VERSE IS NOT REAL,THEN THE BIBLE IS NOT REAL,THEN HE AIN'T REAL!

NO NEED TO GO TO SEMINARY,CHURCH ,HERE OR THERE!

THE BIBLE ALSO SAYS IT IS NOT GOD'S WILL THAT ANY SHOULD PERISH ,BUT ALL BE SAVED! GOD GAVE US A CHOICE AND HE WILL NOT BREAK THAT CHOICE! IT IS A CHOICE TO NOT BELIEVE IN GOD JUST AS IT IS A CHOICE TO BELIEVE IN GOD!! THE BIBLE SAYS "{A FOOL SAYS IN HIS HEART THERE IS NO GOD". SO IF SOMEONE GOES TO HELL INSTEAD OF HEAVEN IT IS BY CHOICE AND AGAINST THE VERY WILL OF GOD!

MAKE GOOD USE WITH THE TIME YOU GOT LEFT HERE. NO ONE IS PROMISED ANOTHER SECOND ON THIS EARTH!

THIS I SAY TO CONDEMN NO ONE! I POINT THE FINGER AT NO ONE! I DON'T KNOW WHERE ANY ONE IS GOING ,BUT MYSELF! I DO KNOW I NEED TO LOVE MUCH MORE THEN I DO,NOT LOVING ENOUGH IS MY BIGGEST SIN!! LOVE COVERS A MULTITUDE OF SINS. JESUS HIMSELF SAID HE DID NOT COME INTO THIS WORLD TO CONDEMN IT ,BUT TO SAVE IT!

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE THING....CHOICE! ONCE THE CHOICE HAS BEEN MADE TO BELIEVE IN JESUS COMES FAITH! WITH FAITH COMES SALVATION! FAITH IN JESUS BECAUSE HE SAID "I AM THE TRUTH ,THE WAY,AND THE LIFE. NO ONE COMES TO THE FATHER[GOD] ,BUT BY ME"! IF WHAT JESUS SAID IS TRUE [I BELIEVE IT WITH ALL MY HEART!] THEN THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO GOD OR HEAVEN! IS GOD NARROW MINDED? "NARROW IS THE WAY"! I LOVE ALL HERE! JAMIE

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator