This has a good message

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GeorgiaVol
But do not declare anyone's beliefs as "wrong". Just as I have no proof to give you to prove my beliefs right, you have no proof to prove them wrong. They are beliefs. That is faith. I CHOOSE to put mine in my God. With proof, no faith would be required, and this discussion would be pointless. You are free to believe or not believe WHATEVER you choose, and I will not belittle anything you post on your lack of faith.

I never declared anyone's beliefs as "wrong". Beliefs are inherently subjective and personal, and as such, not an adequate reflection of the entirety of the objective reality of the universe, but if they help you lead a truly better life then more power to you. Leading a good life is the goal, not being right about going to heaven. Keep that in mind, good sir.

Although I would like to read an inspiring story of the atheist who taught a good moral lesson to explain why anyone should strive for a better life if there is no "reward" or "penalty" for your actions in this life. Seems kinda empty to me.

It all depends upon the manner by which you encode your experiences and actions in life. Personally, certain aspects of the Buddhist mentality works best for me, though I have formulated my beliefs in a different way. You can believe that there is a conscious entity breathing down your neck and judging everything you do, or you can believe that every action that you take reverberates through the cosmos and all eternity; for good or for bad. Every smile you offer to a nameless person walking on the sidewalk, every greedy action, and every selfless sacrifice creates minuscule ripples in the universe which continue to act upon future events well beyond the lifespan of an individual human. That smile could save a suicidal person's life, and that one extra bit of litter could send an ecologist off the deep end. When you look at the stars, that light is not the light coming from that star in that moment; it is hundreds or thousands of years old. Even the light from the sun which warms our face and gives rise to all the verdant life on the planet is several minutes old by the time it reaches us here on Earth 90,000,000 miles away! If the sun ceased to exist this instant, the plants would still photosynthesize for a while longer! Just the same, our actions are not isolated within whatever mental construct we have created, or the theoretical closed-system of thermodynamic inquiry. Every step you take, even though it is not perceptible with the technology available to us today, reverberates across the cosmos and acts upon entities far removed from us in space and time, however small the quantum mechanical effects may be. If you do "good" in life then your goodness will spread across the world and universe like ripples in a pond, and if you do "evil" then that evil will, in some form or another, be transmitted through space and time even though it would be currently technologically impossible to trace it back to the root cause. If I live a "good" life, then my reward at the termination of my existence will be the beauty that I have engendered and the lives that I have improved, and through those people, places, or things my "spirit" will continue to live on for eternity, whether it can be measured/isolated or not. It doesn't matter, really. I know that i will die, and I am pretty much convinced that there is no spiritual plane of conscious individual existence where I might be able to reside forever, so I derive my comfort from knowing that my actions on this earth will influence the future, in some way or another, until the whole universe ceases to exist as we know it, and even then, it will continue acting in the smallest of ways for eons afterward. This intimate interconnectedness of every molecule, particle, and action within the universe to everything else that exists is far more comforting than the social construct which claims that I will go to heaven if I follow the 10 commandments. I am an atheist, yes, but my system is far more beautiful than the belief in that which makes no logical sense. I may not be religious, as you and most other people are, but that doesn't mean that I don't have significant spiritual depth. I chose to look at the big picture, not our society's picture, and I found something that is far superior to every belief system I've yet encountered. The calling to lead a truly good life should not be based in fear and a selfish grasping for the eternal existence of the ego; it should spring forth from a selfless love of the beauty of other people and of the universe, and a desire to preserve and enhance that beauty to the best of our ability for as long as we are alive. I have seen many Bible-thumping Christians who are convinced that they are "going to heaven" treat the world as their toilet and other people as their servants. It would be impossible to convince these fools that they are wrong about the way they live their life, so all I can do is try to live a life that embraces open mindedness, reason, and a sincere love of all of creation.

I always felt that people who do not believe in a god have more faith than all of us believers. Looking at any living thing or the earth or universe, is like looking at a sky scraper and saying "Isn't it amazing that after billions of years of random events, and molecules joining together randomly that such a structure could be put together simply by chance without a purpose or design." Not exactly a good argument in my book. Anyway just my thoughts.

I understand your position, but it is one that has been rote-memorized by millions of people who have been taught to defend their Judeo-Christian beliefs. If you actually care to be enlightened regarding this matter, please go read about Entropy. Entropy is a force in this universe which, in its reduced essence, encompasses almost everything that has ever occurred. It is the tendency that all matter and all energy (chemical and potential) in the universe moves towards a state of lukewarm inertness from which no usable energy can be derived. Within this model, the evolution of life makes perfect sense, as all creatures use-up energy and resources far more quickly than a lump of stone of the same weight would. Humans burn oil, take foods provided by plants and animals (which all fall within this model) and use it to go about their business. Think about all the energy sequestered in a seam of coal. Humans, the most intelligent of the objectively stupid creatures on this planet, dig it up and burn it, thus adding to the entropy of the universe. Life in general uses-up chemical and potential energies to fuel its ineffecient goals. Life is, was, and will always be a product of the forces which push the universe toward a state of inertness, with all the chemical and potential energies used-up far more quickly than would be the case if life had not evolved. The complexity of multicellular organisms is not confusing at all when you look at universal physics! We are a product of the dynamics which guide matter and energy, not necessarily the product of a benevolent god. Think about a piece of meat placed on a windowsill (and separate yourself from the fact that meat is a product of entropy). If entropy (and thus life) did not exist, the meat would maintain all of its ordered energy just fine, but the unicellular bacteria in the world invades and breaks-down the proteins in order to derive energy, some of which can be used to perpetuate its goals and most of which is lost. What is left? Energy which cannot be harnessed to do any Work, and a pile of bacterial crap nowhere near as useful as the meat which existed beforehand. Just the same, us humans are the bacteria which are sucking the resources of this earth dry far more quickly than would be accomplished if no life existed. If we look at the proposed origins of simple prokaryotic life (proteins and amino acids, etc), which would take far more space than I have already wasted here, then my statements would still hold equally as much merit.

It is called entropy, and it provides all of the proof needed to justify the existence of all life; human and otherwise. It makes perfect sense to me.

The truth is out there, but you have to look for it. Think BIG, my fellow human. I don't care if you continue to believe in he Christian construct, I just hope that you understand that every other GOOD human being alive deserves whatever you believe that you are entitled to, whether it is a reality, or a social fabrication. All the people on this earth possess compatible genetics, so why are some cultures and societies favored over others?

Does it make sense? If so, please explain it to an ignorant 22 year old. It would be much appreciated.

ajohn

Reaction score
Human beings are stupid creatures, objectively speaking

What happened to you to believe such an ugly idea like that?
Son,in my youth I used to think a lot of things were stupid.Until the experience of a life filled with bitterness with those same ideas proved completely useless and futile was I able to understand that human beings are not stupid,We just sometimes just act stupid.
You are young,and a young body heals quickly,as does the soul if it is allowed to.
Good luck my young friend

GeorgiaVol

Reaction score
Wow! what a VERY interesting discussion to come from the simple post of a story. To explain further the question of evolution (not arguing because God could have chosen the method Himself): Look simply at the human body. How many "systems" make up this whole system. How many smaller systems are composed within those, and smaller still in those, all the way down to the cell then atom. VERY VERY complex. Easy enough to say we all came from some "ooze" but how amazing is it to look at an one system and think why would this even evolve at all? Or how about why do some animals have better systems the others? If we are evolving wouldn't everything evolve to better over-all systems. The eye for example. Sure some animals dont need better eye sight but wouldn't any animal benefit from better eyes. Why then dont all evolved animals have excellent eye sight? They had billions of years to get them. Look at the eye. magnificent in its design. all of the cells joining together to even make sight possible. but then you need a brain to use it. and you cant have a brain without a heart to feed it. cant have a heart without lungs to oxygenate the blood--which you also need. and so-on and so-on. so many complex systems working together perfectly. it seems much easier to believe we were created rather than evolved to our current state. And yes I am educated and have read many theories about many different possible ways this whole universe came to be, but in the end it just makes more sense to believe in creation. it is more plausible, more likely than just chance. I mean I could go on and on and on, but if you choose to not WANT to believe then no proof will ever get you to entertain the possibility of God's creation. that is YOUR choice. I also have much "proof" within my own life. You can only go through so many coincidences before you stop believing in them. Only so many "close calls" before you realize some one is watching after you. You see I am a child of God's. He takes care of me. He guides me where I need to go. I wish I could explain what I mean, but SOOO many times in my life I KNOW I was guided to go a certain way, to make certain decisions. People dont believe because they dont KNOW. If they knew what I know they would believe. And yes I know because of Him I am a better person. By no means am I perfect, Im not even close. But I am far happier. I am not looking for the meaning of life, I have it. sorry to have rambled on this long, but I hope every one will at least honestly consider, I mean really concentrate and consider the possibility that the Bible is real. Even scientifically you have to accept it as a possibility.

Plumbata

Reaction score
This is some good stuff, my fellow humans. I could continue arguing against certain points, but it would get us nowhere.

ajohn, what you said makes a great deal of sense. When i was younger, the world was the most wonderous and beautiful place, and I looked forward to every new day that I could use to expand my knowledge of the beauty of all things. Then I slowly began to see the evils of the world being perpetuated by other humans, and I saw all that I held sacred being bastardized, cheapened, or entirely destroyed by the forces of western society. I saw my father dying when I was in 8th grade, and had he not gotten a heart transplant in that last week, he would have been dead 7 days afterwards (a benefit of western medical science, I suppose). My formative experiences taught me some painful lessons about the subjectivity of belief and the transience of life, and as such I tend to see human beings as weak and stupid creatures compared to what is possible. Look at Einstein; he was a brilliant man but he also allowed the atomic bomb to be created and used on tens of thousands of innocent Japanese citizens, a reality which he sincerely regretted until he himself passed away. Even a man as brilliant as himself could not forsee the consequences of his meddling with the physical properties of the universe. He was near-sighted, and so are pretty much all other people alive, when compared to what is possible. All the evil which is carried out in the world brings tears to my eyes, but I cannot do much at all about it. It sucks, and it hurts soooo much. What can I do to make the pain less tangible? How can I look at the destructive forces of humanity and see any good in it? How can I look at a swath of machine-induced destruction and think that what I see is somehow Godly and good? I love the world and other people more than you all will know, which is why I feel such disillusionment and pain when I see the reality of things. The beauty of my subjective interpretation of the world has been invaded by the destructive forces of reality, and I am left with little to put my faith in. It hurts, in a deep, soulwrenching way. What can I do?

I guess the core message that I was trying to get across is the subjectivity of belief, and the fact that all good people deserve whatever you or anyone else thinks the final reward will be. When I was taught that good non-Christians would not go to heaven, I could hardly believe it. It made no sense that a culture which evolved so differently than our own Christian Western culture could be relegated to a position of undeserving heathenness simply by virtue of it not having access to our cosmological concepts and beliefs. That led to my questioning of the entire system.

I could argue about the evolution of the eye from simple light-sensing spots, or the effects of one's formative cultural experiences upon one's beliefs, but it would only lead to strife, anger and pain. Personally, I WANT you to believe in something that makes your life more fulfilling, as long as you don't exclude other good people from the eternal benefits which you believe you will enjoy. Perhaps I have taken cultural relativism to an extreme that is not comfortable for most people, but I feel that it can teach many valuable lessons if its truths are allowed to do so.

Ultimately, and reduced to its most bare essentials, I believe that all "good" people deserve whatever afterlife or reward exists or does not exist, regardless of their knowledge of the "correct" cosmological and religious system. I doubt that any truly just and good deity would discriminate against truly good and just human beings. This is my main point, and this is where I want your thoughts.

glass man

Reaction score
1ST CORINTHIANS CHAP. 1-VERSE 21 -"FOR AFTER THAT IN THE WISDOM OF GOD THE WORLD BY WISDOM KNEW NOT GOD,IT PLEASED GOD BY THE FOOLISHNESS OF PREACHING TO SAVE THEM THAT BELIEVE.

1ST CORINTHIANS CHAP.1-VERSE 27..."FOR GOD HAS CHOSEN THE FOOLISH THINGS OF THE WORLD TO CONFOUND THE WISE,AND GOD HAS CHOSEN THE WEAK THINGS OF THE WORLD TO CONFOUND THE MIGHTY.

ROMANS CHAP. 10:17 "SO FAITH COMES BY HEARING ,AND HEARING BY THE WORD OF GOD"

IN OTHER WORDS "MEN'S WISDOM" COMES TO NOTHING! ONLY FAITH CAN GET ANY ONE TO GOD,THROUGH ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS AND THE BELIEF IN JESUS CHRIST THE SON OF GOD! SO SIMPLE,BUT SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE MADE IT SO HARD!

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO WHEN WE DIE:JESUS WILL EITHER SAY"I NEVER KNEW YOU;DEPART FROM ME YOU WORKER OF INIQUITY" OR "WELL DONE YOU GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT ENTER INTO YOUR REWARD"! THERE WILL BE NO ARGUMENT! NOW IS THE TIME TO CHOOSE! TO ARGUE WITH ME OR ANY ONE ELSE WILL NOT CHANGE ANY THING! CHOOSE WISLY ALL DEPENDS ON THAT ONE SIMPLE CHOICE!

AS EASY AS UNDERSTANDING THE ILLUSTRATION THAT MATT STARTED THIS WITH! JAMIE

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I have learned over the years to LOPBWTHTW. (let other people believe whatever the heck they want) For me, the diversity of opinions is much more interesting than one clarion call to the truth. How boring would life be, I ask you all.. how boring and mind-numbingly routine would this life be if we all had the same thoughts?? NO THANKS!!!!

glass man

Reaction score
I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO TRY WITH KINDNESS AND LOVE TO TRY TO AT LEAST GET PEOPLE TO THINKING ABOUT JESUS,SALVATION ETC,JUST LIKE A PERSON SEES A HOUSE IS ON FIRE AND DO MY BEST TO GET ALL OUT SAFE. FOR ME TO STAND AND JUST WATCH THE HOUSE BURN WITH ALL INSIDE IT WOULD BE SOMETHING I COULD NOT LIVE WITH MYSELF FOR!

IF ONLY ONE GETS TO SAFETY,BECAUSE OF MY TRYING IS WORTH IT!

I SURE DON'T TALK ABOUT THE LORD FOR MONEY,POPULARITY! MAN I HAVE BEEN JUMPED ON SINCE 17 FOR JUST TRYING TO TELL OTHERS ABOUT THE LOVE OF CHRIST! IT AIN'T FUN GETTING KNOCKED,BUT JESUS SAID IF WE ARE ASHAMED OF HIM BEFORE MEN ,HE WOULD BE ASHAMED OF US BEFORE THE FATHER!
AS CHRISTIANS WE ARE TOLD TO TALK OF HIM AND HIS LOVE AND SALVATION!

I AIN'T GONNA BE HERE A LONG TIME AS THE YEARS FLY BY,BUT WHEN I STAND BEFORE HIM I WANT TO HAVE TRIED BEST I COULD!
THE MESSEGE IS ONE OF LOVE AND SALVATION ,BECAUSE OF LOVE AS JESUS CAME AND DIED BY HIS OWN CHOICE FOR OUR SALVATION. AS IT SAYS SALVATION WAS BOUGHT WITH A PRICE!

THE GREATEST WORDS ONE CAN HEAR AFTER DEATH IS "WELL DONE YOU GOOD AND FAITHFUL SERVANT". IT AIN'T BOUT HOW GOOD WE ARE AS "ALL HAVE SINNED AND COME SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD"!

I SIN DAILY AND HATE IT,BUT WE ARE OF FLESH THAT IS WEAK,BUT SALVATION COMES BY ASKING TO BE FORGIVEN DAILY AND BELIEVING ON JESUS.

SIN IS NOT JUST WHAT WE DO ,BUT ALSO WHAT WE DON'T DO. HELP A PERSON WHEN WE HAD THE MEANS TO DO SO,TELLING A PERSON OF THE LOVE OF GOD THAT DOES NOT KNOW IT,ON AND ON.

JESUS TOLD THE SISTER OF LAZARUS ,BEFORE JESUS RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IF YOU BELIEVE IN ME YOU WILL NEVER DIE"! [THE SOUL]THERE ARE TWO DEATHS FOR THE UNBELIEVER THE DEATH OF THE BODY AND THE SPRITUAL DEATH OF THE SOUL,MEANING FOREVER BEING SEPARATED FROM GOD,LOVE,AND IN TORMENT. JUMP ON ME IF YOU WANT ,I AM NOTHING ONLY A MESSENGER,BUT IT WON'T CHANGE THE TRUTH AND IF ONE DOES NOT ASK FORGIVENESS AND BELIEVE IN JESUS ,THE VERY WORDS I AM WRITTING WILL BE SHOWN TO YOU THEN,AS WELL AS SO MANY OTHER CHANCES ALL HAVE BEEN GIVEN AND REJECTED,SO DON'T PUT IT OFF,MAKE THE CHOOSE NOW! JAMIE

cordilleran

Reaction score
Somewhere in the Great American Southwest
You are a good man, Jaime. You keep on speaking your mind and living your life in a way you see as right. There's a reason you're not living on the high side of the tracks. You've been tested for many years. By gum, you've not broken yet!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator