THIS is what gives some archys a bad name!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
Friends, please check out the guestbook to my website (link below), and see what someone left for me (Don't worry, it's clean). My rebuttal follows. This is exactly the kind of condescending, uneducated garbage and bogus accusations that gives many bottle collectors a bad taste for archaeologists! It's not fair to bottle collectors OR archaeologists in general, but sadly, we still see these kinds of things and it is very disappointing. ~Jim

Jim

Reaction score
Here it is...

val: Do you realize that looting archaeological site is against the law? It's people like you that make our understanding of the archaeological record much more difficult. Shame on you for robbing us of our cultural heritage!12-Sep-07[/align]166.2.12.x[/align]

Jim

Reaction score
And my response. As you all know, I'm a pretty mellow and laid-back kind of guy. I don't get bent out of shape too much, but this nonsense pushed me over the edge [:mad:]

Jim (Site Owner): Val, I don't know where you came from, but please feel free to stay there. I do not dig "archaeological sites", ever, period. As Rick said, we dig in old trash dumps and/or privy pits that are located on PRIVATE PROPERTY, WITH PERMISSION! I have spent countless hours researching the history behind my rare local bottles that I have dug, some of which were previously unknown to exist. I work 40 hours weekly, and I dig and collect bottles out of pure love for the hobby and a deep appreciation of history, NOT to try to line my pockets. Congratulations on falling flat on your nose with your uneducated assumptions!

Just some food for thought (which you seem to need a dose of)...Most of the bottles on my site were BOUGHT by me, and not dug from anywhere. Please take your uneducated assumptions and condescending attitude elsewhere, as they are not welcome here. ~JM
[/align]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
How do you know they are a formally trained archeologist and just not some do-gooder trouble maker nut case? The vast majority of trained archaeologists understand the difference between an historically significant site and a generic bottle dump. Of course there are people with no common sense in every field.

ktbi

Reaction score
Hi Jim...I wouldn't make too big a deal out of this...probably like Gunther said and the guy is not an archeologist but someone with a mission/obsession. He does have a problem, but that's exactl;y what it is - HIS problem. Anyway, I enjoyed looking around your site. I like poisons as well and learned a few things. I bookmarked it...Thanks for sharing your passion.....Ron

Jim

Reaction score
The troublemaker nutcase label does seem to fit very well. Perhaps what we have here is an archaeologist wanna-be, someone who is not intelligent or ambitious enough to be a true archaeologist, but likes to think that they know something and enjoys talking down on others. Pretty pathetic [:D].

Whatever the case, I will not stand for them trashing me and bottle collectors in general, especially on my own site and when they know nothing about me other than that I collect poison bottles. Thanks for the replies, guys. It isn't really worth getting mad, but it struck a nerve. ~Jim

PS- I just realized something. A friend mentioned something in my guestbook about a large coffin that was dug. Perhaps this idiot failed to realize that it was a coffin POISON BOTTLE, and thinks that I'm some kind of grave robber [:D].

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hi Jim -
Sounds like a ...Welcome to the world of bottle websites. [:D] [:D] [:D] Everyone that has a site up, with a way to post their thoughts, get this sort of nonsense, from time to time. I know I do. I get tons of emails weekly and I'm guessing mostly 'cause I have websites, but a very small percentage of them will be bad. 99% of them just want to know what their find is worth. [;)] They either like ya or they hate you (jealously - envy - from the wrong area - etc.) [:)]

PS - I don't have your site on my links page. Would you like to be added when I FINALLY update it?

Jim

Reaction score
Hi Meech, A link would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I get some "What's it worth?" questions. Most of them are about common bottles, and I have to bring them bad news. Fortunately, they are appreciative and just happy that I answered their inquiry.

The occasional jokers like our friend "Val" are just laughing stock. It really irritated me at first, but now that I think about it, it's really just plain funny how some people will spout off and embarrass themselves. Bottle digger = Grave robber?? [:D][:D] That's one strange connection! Well, maybe if they count dead privy seeds and 1850s meat bones as a grave[;)]. ~Jim

Tony14

Reaction score
Geeze jim dont you know anything! Think about it the first spot you would want to bury your dead relative would be right in the privy! How more convenient could it be![:D]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26