This ONE is a J. Heinz bottle - I am guessing BBQ sauce

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

grugirl

Reaction score
Anyone got a year on this one? It is a J. Heinz bottle proabably a cork lid.

IMG_2745.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
The way you're presenting these common TOC bottles is taking me back to the mid 1990's when I was digging stuff like this out of the local riverbank at low tide.. it was the great bottle dig of my life.. I had yet to learn about them, and my imagination was running full blast!! No ABN back then, just a Kovel's price guide. It was a great time.
I miss feeling so strongly about them.. I miss liking them as much as I did. I'd like to thank you for reminding me how it was...!

madman

Reaction score
thats an earlyer one nice bottles in the background!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Cheryl,

Sometimes they have numbers or information on the base. Someone had a chart of various Heinz bottle shapes, but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Remember there were at least 57 Varieties.

3092850951_f976c53234.jpg

ExplorePAHistory-a0k8x5-a_349.jpg
Pittsburgh c. 1915 From.

I'm thinking perhaps a relish.

"It was in 1896 that Henry Heinz came up with one of the most recognized slogans in advertising history: "57 Varieties." This catch phrase had nothing to do with the actual number of varieties produced by H. J. Heinz, though, which by then totalled over 60 (including plum pudding, strawberry preserve, India relish, olive oil, spaghetti, euchred pickle, currant jelly, chili sauce, peanut butter, and celery soup). Rather, Heinz was riding an elevated train in New York when he spied an advertising placard in the train car promoting "21 styles" of shoes; struck by the concept, and recognizing that catchiness and resonance were far more important qualities for a company slogan than literal accuracy, Heinz cast about for the perfect number to use for his own company's version of the phrase. Settling on fifty-seven, Heinz soon put the number to work, and within a week the sign of the green Heinz pickle bearing the words "57 Varieties" was everywhere Heinz "could find a place to stick it." He soon ordered the construction of a six-story, twelve-hundred-light display featuring a forty-foot pickle; installed at the intersection of 5th Avenue and 23rd Street in New York City, this electric marvel dazzled New York residents and tourists until 1906." From.

Zasu_Pitts-poster-842832.jpg

grugirl

Reaction score
Happy to oblige. I don't have much in the way of high collectibles but I love them just the same. I cannot wait to someday get something MONDO OLD. I am dying for the bottle show in Chehailis this May?
I can hardly wait to see some of these beauties up close and personal. I also love that most of my bottles cost me 1-2 dollars each at most. Someone had donated them to an old train depot in Alaska just down the road from my home. I happened in there one day, first visit ever and they had a little gift shop. I wandered in and saw the bottles and loved them. they were clearance selling them for 1/2 price cause they had been there so long. The big brown beauty i posted earlier I got for a buck.

grugirl

Reaction score
I have number 37. That just happens to be my very lucky number. Researching it now

grugirl

Reaction score
Got it.. it was a horseradish jar

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey Cheryl:

Please, please, please never lose that enthusiasm. I have been collecting for 45 + years and still get excited about a $1.00 bottle I like.

Don't believe it ? Send me an embossed bottle 3" tall or less that I don't have. Or a WAW-WAW bottle of any variant. I just bought two WAW- WAW for about $24.00 (eBay, including mailing cost) and am anxiously waiting their arrival.

I recently sold $30,000 worth of BITTERS and still have Historical Flasks worth almost as much plus Fruit Jars that would bring in several thousand dollars. I get as big a kick at acquiring a $1.00 bottle I really like as I did about acquiring a several thousand dollar BITTERS or HISTORICAL.

I believe collecting what you like and can afford is of utmost importance. I have ALWAYS done that and have continiued to enjoy the hobby.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR