TO CLEAN OR NOT TO CLEAN?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sctreasures

Reaction score
I have a Dr. J. Hostetter's Stomach Bitters that has oyster shells and barnacles that grew on the bottle. Value wise, is it better to remove the shells or leave as is?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Generally speaking bottles are more valuable clean but certain examples with encrustations and iridescence can be unique and appealing.

Bottle tumbler

Reaction score
take them off by soaking it in muratic acid and water 50/50 for a day or 2 and that will take care of them and increase the value of it.
if it still needs cleaning i can help if your intrested in having it tumbled.
rick

bombboy

Reaction score
This may be too late, but always remember to add the acid to the water, NOT water to acid. Could splash and do some damage to you. Wear your safety glasses and be in a well ventilated area. Schools dismissed.
Bombboy

idigjars

Reaction score
Good tip Bomboy! First thing I was taught working in a steel mill metlab. I remember it like this Triple A, Always Add Acid. Paul

KentOhio

Reaction score
Since it's a common bottle, I think the shells are better left on. They make it more interesting.

sctreasures

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I left the oyster shells on the bottle. I just set up a display case this weekend with a nautical theme. Just wish there was a way to polish the glass so it would display better.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology