Todays pontiled question...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mr.fred

Reaction score
Named after some big shot in spain------theres a town in Spain called Salamanca.I think his name is Simon ????.I'll get back to ya on that[X(].

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Here's a little history,
"When the first Erie train came through Seneca lands in 1851, The indians turned out, some of them in full regalia, to watch the white man's new "smoke devil" puff by. They had signed a treaty nine years before, granting railroads a right of way across their reservation. Otherwise there would be no Salamanca. in 1862 another railroad, the Atlantic and Great Western, nosed into the indian domain. It connected with the Erie tracks at a tiny sawmill settlement with the indian name of Bucktooth.The junction point was renamed Salamanca in honor of Don Jose Salamanca y Mayol, a large stockholder in the road, after the spanish capitalist had visited this section of the railroad. Joe

mr.fred

Reaction score
Alright Joe!-----great history lesson[;)]-----very interesting. Theres a small Park on Broad St.here in Salamanca---named after that Simon ??????-----can't remember the connection---but it has to do with this town.[8|]

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
In a little triangular-shaped park along Broad Street stands a boulder over which floats the Stars and Stripes beside an unfamiliar banner. If you stop to investigate,you will find that the second flag is the green and gold banner of the South American Republic of Bolivia. On the boulder is an inscription stating that it was dedicated in 1941 by the Cattaraugus County American Legion in honor of Simon Boliver, the Latin-American liberator. It was put there in recognition of the Spanish origin of the citys name. In 1953 the Bolivian Embassy in Washington sent the flag of the republic to fly beside the American flag. Joe

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Fred,...Here's another interesting fact...During the lumbering boom,...Onoville was called "Jugville", as time progressed, the residents felt it should have a more dignified name.....At all the frustrating attempts none could agree...The most common response was "Oh no that will never do"...Finally one of the town officers cried out "Why don't we just call it "OhNoville", hence the name....One last curiosity...."Each member of the Seneca tribe as per the original treaty, is guaranteed four yards of calico cloth annually. In recent years there was a substitution of unbleached muslin, due to the difficultys in obtaining calico".[8|] Fred, do they still do this? I remember the old indian basket lady down near Corydon where the waters of the Kinzua Dam now lay.....Anyhow Enough Seneca history for now....Don't want to bore you all. Joe[;)]

mr.fred

Reaction score
Joe----not boring at all-----as far as i now they still do it----with the Calico.I 'll ask my Big Indian friend to be sure.[8|] Fred.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey