Trash Pit

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jkski8884

Reaction score
I found a small trash pit on our land over in Wautoma WI. I'm guessing most of it is 1940's/50's but still some neat stuff.
Any info/dates on any of this is greatly apprieciated. I know I have a Parker ink bottle, Evening in Paris Perfume bottle and (I'm guessing 50's) Pepsi Bottle. The rest I'm not sure of. Sorry for the crappy pic. quality. I had to take it on my phone...left the camera at the cabin.

9D39B626D6AE4CD797E4A27BD757FBAD.jpg

Attachments

• 9D39B626D6AE4CD797E4A27BD757FBAD.jpg
    9D39B626D6AE4CD797E4A27BD757FBAD.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 88

jays emporium

Reaction score
You guessed the dates about right. Some of that stuff could be 1940's. There could be older bottles buried deeper. The bottles you pictured don't have much value, if any, to collectors but there are bottles of that age that would be keepers. Look for embossed soda and milk bottles. ACL sodas like the Pepsi would be good too if they are not too worn from being exposed to sun soil and rain for 60+ years.

jkski8884

Reaction score
I also found some sort of light fixture...may have belonged in a car? I have no idea...
I kind of figured none of those bottles held any value, but I still think they are kind of neat looking. This is only my second dig, so finding anything is exciting to me:) lol.

85F92F5D8DBE4336AFD157BA73A7BE8D.jpg

Attachments

• 85F92F5D8DBE4336AFD157BA73A7BE8D.jpg
    85F92F5D8DBE4336AFD157BA73A7BE8D.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 66

nydigger

Reaction score
That triangular one in front of the Pepsi bottle looks like an Esquire Lano Wax bottle. I have one myself it cleaned up nice and the texture of the bottle is great[;)]

logueb

Reaction score
Yep, 40s-50s. The Pepsi appears to be a double dash. Even if the acl label is not 100% , they're collectible (the more of the label intact, the better). The green one is probably a juice bottle, the tall clear one a beverage bottle, the cone shaped one with the white liquid is probably an Esquire white shoe polish, small square one with yellowish liquid appears to be a merthiolate bottle, post prohibitation whiskey, food/relish jar, amber screw tops were meds, and the screw top milk glass was some type of cosmetic/cold cream etc. What is embossed on the one lying on its side? Hope this helps. Keep and clean what you like. As you collect and learn, you will know which ones to bring home and which ones to leave. Buster

jkski8884

Reaction score
The Esqiure bottle is a shoe polish from what I found on the web. I says Esquire Scuff-Kote. Still some in there. The one laying on it's side says Rawleighs (which is a medicine?) I'm kind of curious what kind of medicine it was (if that is, in fact what it is) The liquid in there looks really nasty. Almost looks like mayonaise that's been sitting out for a few weeks. Yuck.
Thanks for the help! Oh, b.t.w., how would I go about cleaning up the Pepsi without further ruining the label? I haven't even tried cleaning it off yet.

logueb

Reaction score
I remember as a kid the Raleigh's man in his old station wagon as he made his rounds peddling the Raleigh products. Some housewives swore that their flavoring extracts were the best money could buy. They are still in buisness today. Google Raleigh products and learn more. Below is from their web site. Buster

Rawleigh Products was founded by W.T. Rawleigh in the late 1800s to create a line of products that possessed both strength and quality. Over 100 years later, W.T Rawleigh remains a leading manufacturer and distributor of salves, ointments, spices & extracts and much, much more products!

logueb

Reaction score
Oh, forgot about cleaning the Pepsi label. Verrrrrrrrry carefuly. Brush off any dirt. Use a soft cloth and water to start with, and wipe very gently. If there are rust stains I sometimes will add a little soft scrub to the cloth and rub very gently. The earlier painted labels were applied after the bottles were cooled and those will pratically fall off the bottle. The later labels were painted while the bottle was still warm and sort of annealed to the glass. Hope that yours is the later. When in doubt, it's best to leave as is. Buster.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH