tumbling a bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Sand and most other abrasives will fog the bottle glass no matter what you use with it. Copper is the best tumbling medium, walnut shells and plastic beads will also work, but are really slow. if it aint broke, don't fix it, use copper and be done with it.........

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
lblackvelvet the science of tumbling bottles has been around a long time. Listen to these guys they know what they are talking about. As said dont try and reinvent the wheel. Take thier advice and proceed slow. Learning the science of tumbling bottles is not an exact science. There is much more to it then just buying the tumbler and putting a bottle in it. Heed the advice these guys give you...it will save time and money and most of all you will get the expected results you desire.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks to all members who replied to this question. I was not trying to reinvent the wheel, Just looking for an alternative method for bottles that are not in bad shape,just to save me some time cleaning bottles without the drill method. I was asking this question because the compounds work with my drill/rag method and was thinking about using same compound and sand with a rag inside the bottle just like I do with a drill. I have a member that lives close by me that has offered to educate me in the proper technique in tumbling a bottle. It is my nature to experiment with everything I do. I have free access to about 30 different abrasives at work and when I build my tumbler next week I know I will have to try different things on some of my sick bottles that I have. Again, Thank you for your advise and I am thankful for all your help. I will keep you posted when I try a bottle with my drill/ rag/ rubbing compound method on a bottle. Thanks, Kevin..

hemihampton

Reaction score
chosi said:
I never knew there was a choice. I just use the one that the Jar Doctor sells. It's white and a very fine powder, but there is nothing on the label that tells me how many microns it is.

For me I have to use 2 different grit Aluminum oxides. I notice most will use one & don't know which one they are using. LEON.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello, As you all know, I have never tumbled a bottle before, So I am getting a lot of different information on what materials to use, Can someone please advise me on what I need to buy, " cerium oxide" ''tin oxide'' ''silicone carbide'' ''aluminum oxide'' and what grit of the choice ? Is this just a personal choice thing ? Thanks for all your help. Kevin...

chosi

Reaction score
I have 3 materials I use: Aluminum Oxide (fine) 1500 Grit Silicon Carbide (medium) 1200 Grit Silicon Carbide (coarse) For most bottles, I do 1 tumble with a mixture of 75% medium (1500 Grit) and 25% fine (Alum. Oxide). I leave it in the tumbler for 3 or 4 days. When a bottle has a severe stain or very sick glass, I do 2 tumbles: 1 with coarse (1200 Grit) for about day, and then a second tumble with fine (Alum. Oxide) for about 3 or 4 days. The 2nd tumble isn't always needed, but the coarse often leaves the glass "frosty" looking, and the fine will clear up the frostiness. Your result may vary - and there are lots of other materials you can experiment with.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks again Chosi, Some people use what they buy from the Jar DR. and really don't know what grit they are using. The three compounds you just posted are the same as I ordered. I was just hoping I could make those work! I watched a video for tumbling and this guy said he tumbles for 4 to 6 weeks ? Am I missing something here? I was hoping for no more than a week or so! Thanks so much for your advise and I am sure I will need a lot more from people in here that really know what they are doing. Thanks, Kevin...

chosi

Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone tumbling a bottle for more than a week.My experience has been:1. With 1200 Grit (coarse), 24 hours is plenty, and if you leave it in longer your results won't be any different.2. With Alum Oxide (fine), 2 days is typically not long enough, 3 days is usually long enough, and 4 days is almost always long enough (long enough to remove the "frostiness" left by a tumble with 1200 Grit). Worst case is, if you take a bottle out too soon, and you're not pleased with the results, you can always tumble it again.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello all, I have another question about tumbling bottles. If you have to stop a tumble in progress for a Day or so, Will it do any harm? Do you need to rinse the bottle if it is stopped and restarted. I travel for work and plan on tumbling while I am gone, Was going to have wife shut off after 3 Days, It may be a couple Days before I get back to take bottle out of canister, Is this a bad thing that I should not attempt ? Thanks for your help, Kevin..

hemihampton

Reaction score
If it was shut off after 3 days. After returning I would inspect bottle to check on progress. If it looks frosty, clean bottle & tube & move onto the next step of a finer compound. Or, if you think it needs more tumbling in the courser compuond then still clean everything & restart again with same compound but from my experiance 3 days should be enough & more then 3 days with a courser grit compound can remove embossing so be careful not to over do it. LEON.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28