tumbling a bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks Leon, I guess I was trying to ask if the tumbler is turned off and the bottle is left in the canister for several days till I return home from work, Will the hurt the bottle any? Thanks again, Kevin...

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've never done it but don't see how it could hurt the bottle if turned off. LEON.

FitSandTic

Reaction score
Kevin I have left bottles in my tumbler with it not turning for days before. When your ready to take it out I recommend running them for at least 30 minutes before you take it out. I do this just to stir things up and you will understand when you see the gunk that comes out of your canister.

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks Travis, It's up and running great. I am waiting on materials, hope to get tomorrow or Sat. Going to try the ceramic pellets first. I found some clean stripped copper today for 3.00 lb. I will have to cut! I have been running some bottles with the 3m rubbing compound, water, fine steel wool on a few bottles with light staining for about 8 hrs with good results. Can't wait to get polishing compounds and ceramic/ copper and use on a sick bottle. I will call you if I have any further questions. Thanks for all your help !!! Kevin....

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello, Well like I said I am always looking for different ways to clean bottles. I pulled my first two bottles from my tumbler today that were experimental bottles. They were not "sick" bottles but pretty rough looking bottles. I used walnut shells and 1000 grit silicone carbide for 12 hrs. Next I used 1500 grit silicone carbide for 24 hrs. Then I added a 3 micron aluminum oxide with dry walnut shells for 24 hrs. It's unfortunate that I didn't take a before picture of the Lime Cola prior to tumbling as i took it from the mail box to the garage. I did take a picture off e-bay but it is hard to see. I have two bottles tumbling with ceramic pellets now that I will post in a Day or so. I am hoping they work due to the cost compared to copper. I can tumble 2 bottles with 5 lbs. of ceramic pellets compared to about 35 lbs of copper. Two points of interest here, One is a lot less money, Second is less weight and less work on tumbler allowing more bottles to be tumbled at one time. Well that's all I have till I take out the next batch of experimental bottles. Thanks, Kevin.....

Attachments

• 25af47f48fd2448ba6053f889a497b69.jpg
    25af47f48fd2448ba6053f889a497b69.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 165

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Thanks Leon, Those bottles were not to bad! I have some sick bottles in tumbler I am working on, Will let you know results soon. Thanks again, Kevin...

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
greetings, i've been following this thread of late. you are making good progress. it's really just a matter of getting set up and gaining experience. keep in mind that you can use different mixes for the inside of the bottle. you will learn how to avoid the milky haze that sometimes appears. i'm anxious to see how the ceramic pellets work for you. please keep us posted. jim that tumbler i built is still working fine...

Attachments

• 71914c6574e446c3b744deb957bb798f.jpg
    71914c6574e446c3b744deb957bb798f.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 174

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question about the neck of the bottle on the inside. It has a line about 3'' down from the lip that seems to not polish as well as the drum of the bottle. Is it not enough copper ? Too much copper ? Turning to slow ? I am running the tumbler at 60-70 rpm's. Thanks for any advise. Kevin...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese