Two From Keene

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
I almost didn't make it to this famous show after my carpooling options went south. I figured heck, I've never been and it's about time I did, so I trusted my Subaru with the 2.5 hour journey.
It was pretty impressive! Lots and lots of high quality glass, most of it over my budget. As always, there were some deals. My first buy was a complete surprise and delight. I had spotted a very rare Davis Vegetable Pain Killer on one seller's table. This normally common as dirt bottle was the rarest version, standing 8-1/4" with an open pontil. There was no price so I asked the lady, who told me to make her an offer. I told her I couldn't make her a fair offer, I only had $120. She said she was hoping for a couple hundred, which sounded right. I thanked her for her time and walked away. I was quite surprised when she came up to me a few minutes later and told me I could have it for $100! She said she wanted it to go to a good home, and I was humbled that she wanted me to have it. I thanked her profusely and whisked away the treasure.

Now I only had $20, which is pretty much pocket change for a show like Keene. However, some of you heard of the exciting $20 table. One dealer had decided to clear out some inventory, so a bunch of nice bottles were up for $20 a pop. I saw mineral waters, Doyles Bitters (one labeled), pontiled ales, a Stoddard stubby with a small base chip, a lip chipped pontiled Turlington's Balsam, and some Warners. I just missed a 4-cities Warners; that middle-schooler with the freckle covered face (who buys for his grandfather) snatched it up. I got a nice Dr. Langley's Stomach & Herb Bitters in a light blue green. I sold it right away for $40, came back, and bought two more, which I also sold for near double. I was then able to trade one for a nice clear Rumford Chemical Works (marked $30, and they gave me an extra $5). I also sold one bottle I brought, and bought three more from the $20 table. My last picks were a Hathorn Spring Saratoga amber quart, a large pontiled ale bottle, and an unusual squat blob with a long neck from Mass. for $10. Oh, and I traded an ACL I brought with me for a RI blob.

The big one...
8069185138_4c35ab87fb_z.jpg

Half a pontil! lol
8069185788_c6b588b4f1_z.jpg

Rare Rumford Chemical Works in clear. Yes, it is ABM, and yes, I saw one sell for $50!
8069190717_8c9b7d99bc_z.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
Nice story Taylor, I like your style...I wish I had gone and grabbed every quart off that table for my colored quart display....Grrrrrrrrrr

KBbottles

Reaction score
Nice Rumford! They have consistently sold for 40-50 range on ebay. Ive had one for a while in my collection as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause