Two Large Amber Meds from Baltimore.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
The thing is MANY,MANY people will buy the more expensive mint bottle over one that is dug and cheaper ,though they are both the same type bottle in every way.
This is why I get bottles as mint as possible,because I have had to sell my bottle collections,before. This has to be factored in,because some dug bottles ,though decent bottles, I had to take a loss on. This would not be a factor ,however if I had dug all my bottles,but where I live I would be limited to toc to 40s stuff. Now nothing wrong with this ,but i love pontiled bottles,flasks,and many others I would never dig here.

That being said I have only one polished bottle [that I know of] and it looks fine to me. Now I have seen the over polished oily looking bottles too and understand how some collectors don't like them. Neither do I. jamie

privvydigger

Reaction score
when I spin bottles for myself and others I ask if they want it mint, halfway or just cleaned and polished. I can tumble a bottle and not remove any of the character and embossing. I like the my insides cut,cleaned and polished. The outside just cleaned and polished. I usually look when I'm done and say I could have taken those fine scratches out or case wear. But honestly they look spectacular with the character of the glass intact. I'm sure at shows most go through a three phase cut clean and polished. They look awesome up to the light.
I have dug botttles that have come out of the ground here in NE Pa. and they were mint like the day they were made.....just all part of the hobbie.
I had a bottle that would sell between 250 & 350. I spun it and you were able to see the whittling and other character of the glass in the bottle.....got 400 for it

baltbottles

Reaction score
It also works in reverse I have sold plenty of dug bottles and watched the buyer have them cleaned and put them on ebay thinking that they would make money and they lost money. the bottle market is very unpredictable.

Chris

sandchip

Reaction score
Cleaned bottles, specifically overcleaned ones are a big turnoff. Like some of you have already stated, it destroys the subtleties in the character of the glass. I don't think I have a cleaned bottle in my collection, but that's just me. If one has been cleaned and I can't tell it, then it's okay, 'cause it must not have needed much in the first place. A couple of mine are a little sick, but are so rare that I would never chance it. Another thing that hacks me off is to pick up a bottle at a show, turn it over to look at the base, and oil pours out all over the place, clothes and all. Ain't no sense in that crap.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4