Two-tone tinted furst mcness bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

zeppo

Reaction score
I know the furst mcness bottles are very common, but I have not run across this before, and have not found a similar bottle on the web. Please review the attached photos. This bottle, about 16 oz, has a gold-ish film tint that has been applied to the broad flat surfaces, and a greenish/blue tint on the narrow sides (colors are not my strong suit, I could have those both wrong). And when I say film tint, I mean literally, an applied film tint. In many places it is flaking off, and the glass is clear underneath. Are any of you familiar with this bottle, and/or have any clue why they would have tinted a bottle in this manner? Thanks

Attachments

• 4dc17c4bef9f4f8cbcb2a3c25a99a147.jpg
    4dc17c4bef9f4f8cbcb2a3c25a99a147.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 9ba3335029234073a1b0ee174d48d017.jpg
    9ba3335029234073a1b0ee174d48d017.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 64

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi and welcome. In most of the cases I've seen the tinting or dying is done as a deception save the cranberry glass of the mid century (maybe then also).That is an odd one for sure.

MichaelFla

Reaction score
I have seen bottles tinted like that just to make a colorful display.

zeppo

Reaction score
It also occurred to me someone could have applied the film themselves for display purposes, but 1) that just seems like an odd thing to do for the effort involved2) there is a lack of a detectable seam between the two colors3) applying a tinting film manually, so it would fit perfectly over the embossed lettering, would be extremely difficult I thought perhaps F-M might have done a limited run of these tinted bottles as a promotion of some sort.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Everything to me points to a home done effort. If it was factory then the condition should also mean having a label unless it was never filled for sale.I suppose that's possible but very doubtful.

zeppo

Reaction score
OK, thanks for the replies. I still think it odd that someone would apply the film themselves for display. If that is all you are doing it for, just fill the bottle with colored water [;)]I was thinking of emailing F-M and asking if they knew anything about similar special issue bottles. Sometimes companies have a historian on staff. The trick is finding that person. And if they can't answer the question, maybe they will send me a free sample of bovine vitamins. Make me strong like bull. Topic change, is this the correct forum for posting photos of new acquisitions and asking questions about their relative rarity etc. Or is a different forum preferred for that purpose?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I can't hurt to ask, they may want a time frame though. I cant tell if it's machine made, screw top or anything to help with that from the pictures. At 16oz it could be veterinary but could also be a home product like an extract. They sold a lot of stuff since their starting.As far as posting categories it's safe to say that here or after 1900 was a good choice for this. If you have a specific bottle like a milk, you may want to choose that.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Looks about identical to mine, which I read on a few sites as being 1920s-1930s and a Human medicine bottle. Yours is just not cracked, or aqua-clear fully. I am one of the few people who would be happy to fall down a hill into a creek (steep, slick,) as it turned up this bottle. Lol. I haven't really been able to get back there. It is my first out-of-state bottle.
As for veterinary--they made that? It's interesting to see they're still going decades later.
Question: I know where I can purchase a half-size version of this bottle. Think it's worth 5 dollars? Seems to be around the same time.

Attachments

• 3207a32ba94d4b3bae28f5b086ce18e3.jpg
    3207a32ba94d4b3bae28f5b086ce18e3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 82

zeppo

Reaction score
My bottle is machine made screw top, which would put it post 1930, right? I'll do a little more research on the company before I ask them any questions. I did not know they did human medicine, must have stopped a while ago. Spirit Bear, other than being cork top, yours looks about the same. And I'm strictly an amateur, but I've seen several of these F-M bottles in the past year, so five bucks seems high to me. Unless it has a $20 paint job like mine (joke).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Giles