Uncommon? Bromo for Steve... Toronto

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
cobaltbot said:
Wow, that's cool I want one of those!!! Can't make out the embossing on the top line?
I thought so too. Like the Santa said to the M&M's before he fainted, "They do exist". [:D]The top word according to the list was "EMERSON"S". That might imply a knockoff from a drugstore in London, I don't know. You could have Emerson's also being Emerson Drug Co. there but it seams a stretch to me.

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Most Toronto Bromos are pretty common, especially in the smallest size as listed on Ebay via the original post on this thread. The Emerson Drug Co. established a manufacturing branch in Toronto sometime in the late 1890s or early 1900s (I don't have my research notes handy at the moment). There are four basic types of Toronto Bromos in a variety of sizes: 1) BIM corker, 2) semi-automatic machine corker, 3) ABM corker, and 4) ABM screw-capper. The smallest BIMs are harder to find, but are certainly not rare. The rarest Toronto variant I can think of is a BIM 8-ouncer. In 30+ years of collecting, I've only seen one, and it was in poor dump-dug condition. There is also a Canadian-made inverted-bottle dispenser from the 1950s I'd guess. The base is stamped underneath with the name of a Toronto casting factory, the name of which escapes me. Hope this helps.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks! Glen for that additional information. Even in a bottle as common as a bromo you just never know what might turn up.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
People on this site have claimed to have dug ten inch bromos, I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. The baltimore book claims nine inchers but the biggest I've seen is just shy of eight inches. Do they exist, maybe/maybe not... Wow Swiz always great to see you show up, miss you around here!

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Ya, the 8-ouncer from Toronto would be around 6" tall. No matter about rarity, the cobalts make great window bottles.

swizzle

Reaction score
Hey Cobaltbot, I'm afraid its most likely just for a visit. I switched gears and I'm into cracking open hard rock for herkimer diamonds now. I got a facebook page I sell them on and a bunch of videos on youtube under Jason LaPort if you wanna see what I've been up too. I'm thinking seriously about doing a few good digs this year and seeing what I can find. I was on a nice 1870's seam 2 years ago but now I have about 8ft of over burden to get off the top before I can get started again. I've been hankering for some fresh digs of some fine old glass for a while. I just make more money with crystals so that's why I switched.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Pretty cool Jason I'll check it out. Maybe you can find an old mine that they backfilled with bottles and have the best of both worlds. I have tons of waste green marble rocks along my railroad tracks that I would like to find a way of making them into something. Take care and good luck on your ventures!

swizzle

Reaction score
The bottle dump is actually 4 miles closer to me then the mine is. Its on my way to the mine about 6 miles from my house. :) Depending on the quality of your rocks you might be able to get a small wet tile cutter and a flex shaft dremel and turn them into jewelry grade pieces.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen