UNIQUE NEHI SODA BOTTLE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sodapops

Reaction score
ok what I want to know is how did they drill a hole in the bottle? I would love to find a way to cut tops off bottles. I have a bunch of Oklahoma Territory bottles with tops broken, but I dont want to throw away.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
sp ~

Epackage's video shows some kind of special drill bit, but other than that I don't have a clue. I'm sure someone will come along and be able to tell you ... then we will both know.

SPB

bottleopop

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: sodapops

ok what I want to know is how did they drill a hole in the bottle? I would love to find a way to cut tops off bottles. I have a bunch of Oklahoma Territory bottles with tops broken, but I dont want to throw away.
I got some gadget in the 1960s that was for making drinking glasses out of glass soda bottles. It was made of 2 or 3 flat aluminum sticks and one or two tan plastic hinges or arm length adjusters. The main part of the gadget was a sharp metal scratcher that would scratch around the circumference of the bottle when you turned the bottle as it was held in the gadget. After a scratch was made around the bottle, a sharp impact would cause the separation of the two pieces. I'm pretty sure I never actually used it to make a tumbler from a bottle. I think a couple of years ago I saw a youtube of a guy doing the scoring of a bottle by pulling on a string wrapped around the bottle and then separating the two halves.

Having typed all this stuff, I put "soda bottle tumbler" in the youtube search and found lots of methods. The best one, in my opinion, that uses a bottle scoring gadget that looks a lot like the one I had and the use of hot water, can be found by searching for: "wine bottle cutting 30 seconds". There were also some youtube videos on drilling a hole in glass with a glass-cutting hole saw.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score

You can cut em off w/ a nylon cord.............I'll find a cord and camera and show ya how sometime soon.

bottleopop

Reaction score
Here is the guy that cuts a bottle with just a length of twine and a bucket of water. He cuts a coke bottle in this video.

sodapops

Reaction score
you so smart Osia, thanks
ORIGINAL: OsiaBoyce

You can cut em off w/ a nylon cord.............I'll find a cord and camera and show ya how sometime soon.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1