Unknown coin found metal detecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

relic rescuer

Reaction score
Looks like pewter to me, and not a coin, more of a token or medallion. Also looks to be cast. Probably not as old as you might think it is. I am somewhat of a numismatist, as I have a coin collection that weighs probably 50 pounds. And some that go back to BC. No explaining depth sometimes. My best find is also the best find ever found (at only 4 inches deep, probably lost in the 1850's, you could have found it with a pin pointer) around Fort Steilacoom, Wa. That is now a mental hospital. (Started after the Civil War, and Indian Wars.) It was in an abandoned golf course. Together with a few friends, we found trail of coins, and mine was the second to last, and in the best shape. Anyway, there was a guy there named George Edward Pickett. He fought in the Mexican War (Where this one came from) Then came up here, and is responsible for building Fort Bellingham and his house is a block away, and is the only house still standing (oldest in Wa.) without a real foundation. He married a Native woman and had one child, a son. He went down south and fought for them in the Civil War, and got his ass kicked on the last day of Gettysburg. I can't say for sure it belonged to him, but the history sure points that way. Just for scale, an 8 Reale is bigger than a silver dollar. I swing an AT Max.

Attachments

• WP_20200119_00_10_25_Raw.jpg
    WP_20200119_00_10_25_Raw.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 65

willong

Reaction score
It's not a coin, it's an occult talisman, that's why it's blank on one side.
Someone probably lost it off a necklace. I believe you can actually see the hole on the back there which must have "filled itself in" while it was left outside.
You will see plenty of these being marketed online as a "mohammedan circle of protection" so it can be very hard to determine the age.
That sounds pretty definitive.

willong

Reaction score
Looks like pewter to me, and not a coin, more of a token or medallion. Also looks to be cast. Probably not as old as you might think it is. I am somewhat of a numismatist, as I have a coin collection that weighs probably 50 pounds. And some that go back to BC. No explaining depth sometimes. My best find is also the best find ever found (at only 4 inches deep, probably lost in the 1850's, you could have found it with a pin pointer) around Fort Steilacoom, Wa. That is now a mental hospital. (Started after the Civil War, and Indian Wars.) It was in an abandoned golf course. Together with a few friends, we found trail of coins, and mine was the second to last, and in the best shape. Anyway, there was a guy there named George Edward Pickett. He fought in the Mexican War (Where this one came from) Then came up here, and is responsible for building Fort Bellingham and his house is a block away, and is the only house still standing (oldest in Wa.) without a real foundation. He married a Native woman and had one child, a son. He went down south and fought for them in the Civil War, and got his ass kicked on the last day of Gettysburg. I can't say for sure it belonged to him, but the history sure points that way. Just for scale, an 8 Reale is bigger than a silver dollar. I swing an AT Max.
Very nice find! I worked at Fort Lewis from 2002 until 2012; so, I know whereof you speak. I recently bought an AT Max and am looking forward to learning how to use the thing to locate ferrous junk (to find buried dumps where I might dig bottles) at old homestead sites where nothing appears above the surface today. I've got prospects pinpointed on old maps on both sides of Puget Sound and the Cascades. Would you be interested in helping a newbie on such searches?

5 gallon collector

Reaction score
Good eye, Ice, finding that little hole by which it hangs.....1629424045197.jpeg

'Tis a "Circle of Protection" amulet. "Mohammedan", acc. to an ebay write-up - have not researched. Makes sense though - the center symbols, the little dots over/under the more linear features -- arabic alphabet.
Currently available everywhere - amazon, ebay, etc

Best used in spells and protection involving self and home. Very potent. Most effective if worn around the neck. Makes burglar alarms, pepper spray / martial arts training superfluous.

Question remains, how old is the one you found? Just because there are new ones available....it was deeply buried....but not rusty, no oxide of copper, is neither silver nor gold.....

Even if it is not a treasure, if it works it's quite a find! Wear it in good health -- not that there's any alternative.
1629424045197.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28