Unussual hobleskirt coke bottle!! PONTIL????

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LisaTammy

Reaction score
RED you have a "coke mold". Does that mean like the metal snap case type ones? That is SO cool!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi, The Coke mold I have is a double gob brass mold. I also have a special mold I had them make for a bottle where there was no machining done in the cavity. It was a Segrams Anchient Age' that had a stippled cavity with petrological decorations all over it. It was made by electro-formed nickle and backed up with copper. Faced and inserted into a double gob iron mold body for making glass. The first one we made that way was for a ketchup bottle. I had the opportunity to do a lot of different things, engineered to improve production reduce mold cost and increase the life performance of every thing from the orifice ring to the delivery dead plates and the leer insert plates. And we did every metal part. I have put together a list of my experiments and applications, because I don't think very many know about the problems, and trials of different materials to get a better job done' It was an experience that ended up taking me all over the world to glass operations and seminars. to tell the world about what we had developed. RED Matthews

LisaTammy

Reaction score
I bet those molds look so neat. What a fascinating life you have lead RED.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I know it. I am getting a lot out of my interest in glass and the glass making technology that has been growing since over 1500 BC. Now that I am in NY I have a few hundred bottles to inventory and describe for my daughter - she wil no doubt have the job of selling them. I get a kick out of handling them and they all have a story to tell about how they were made;Glass stoppered soda's with glass stoppers. Bottles made in wooden molds. Bottles with hand tooled internal threads in the finish, or hand tooled external threads on the finish. All kinds of hand tooled finishes and paste molded bottles with internal twisting in the neck glass or elongated bubbles in the stretched neck glass. This could go on too long -so it is still a great hobby and study. RED M

sandchip

Reaction score
I'd love to see pictures of your molds. That would make it easier to understand the terminology.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
So all of you readers; I have two molds that I had made with electro formed nickel backed up with copper to extract heat to the cooling air. behind the bottle shaping insert that we put in old cast iron molds to hold them. They made glass bottles which I don't have, but they were run on a machine running that was making the same bottles. If they passed inspection they went out the door. We also made some sets for other jobs. Costly but they worked. One of them was a bottle that had cave man petroglif symbols in a stippled spacing, that was very expensive to make in iron molds. I am trying to put together a section of our development work for my home page. I always have too many projects to get them done. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
When we get back to Florida, I will get them our an take some pictures to post on my home page. If you know about IS-62 plungers. We even made some of them with internal cooling fins, to increase the cooling efficiency inside the plunger, from the air supplied by the cooler tube inside the plunger, That was quite successful in my opinion, but too costly for the glass induistry. We experimejted with different metals on every part from the furnace batch feeders to the orifice ring inserts, delivery shoot trougth sections. funnels, baffles, baffle tubes and valves, blanks (parison molds), plungers, neckrings, guide rings, mold top plates, molds, bottom plates, take outs, glass push=out arms dead plates, and lehr plates. And that was a lot of development work that covered fifteen years of engineering. 'When Thatchers bought the company making plastic PRELL shampoo tubes, the plastic tubes coming off the machine would climb by static electricity - all the way to the factories ceiling. By the hundreds, A; Abrahams and I went to Idaho. to solve the problem. We did it by making wooden wedge topped vertical cam operated slide sections that fed the tubes into rod guided handler system. Seems crazy, but that was the way we worked together for 15 years. And I enjoyed every one of them. REX M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles