Unusual Pharmacy Story

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barberman

Reaction score
I am Barber in Osage City, Kansas pop. 3500. I'm 51 years old and have heard a hand full of stories. Recently I became interested in bottle digging and mentioned it to an older retired man who worked for the city. He remembers helping a downtown pharmacy move to a new location and he and another city employee were using a city truck to haul off a bunch of old medicine bottles. This was in 1955 or so. He said the bottles were old and had glass stoppers in them. He said there were enough to fill a back end of a pickup. He said the took them down to a city owned site and used a backhoe, dug a hole and pushed all the bottles in. He remembers where the hole is and said it was dug as deep as the backhoe could reach. The pharmacy that was moving dates back to 1885 (sanborn). I am interested in digging those bottles up. What a story......... Comments appreciated.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, Rick! I wish I was in Kansas right now!!!!

tigue710

Reaction score
Id dig, but use another back hoe! Really a strange story... I wonder why they did that instead of just chucking them...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Remember one thing.. some of those bottles could have original contents, which might be a reason why they disposed of them this way.. some of it could be dangerous or controlled substances..but that would not stop me!:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers