USA hospital bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

crozet86

Reaction score
I have read on here about the dog river usa hospital bottle repros.How are they marked or are they? I would like to see a picture of one if anyone has a picture to post.I went to the antique mall today to look around and saw a usa hosp. bottle that just didnt look right...it looked ok all but the neck and lip area from ones i have seen posted as real.The reminded me of the mellin's jar lips.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
OOPS<...lost my first post somehow,....anyhow Eddie, there was one on ebay (see the forums current auction section) just last week that had some good pics to look at, and went for 150 plus in spite of being a repro.....check it out. Joe

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Eddie, another way to spot a repro (other than the completely ficticious open pontil scar) is if they have NO periods after the USA. All Legit Hosp. bottles have periods after U.S.A. Sometimes, however, those are kind of hard to see as well, especially if the bottle has been tumbled. Hope this helps, Kelley

GuntherHess

Reaction score
it looked ok all but the neck and lip area from ones i have seen posted as real.The reminded me of the mellin's jar lips.

There are original wide mouthed versions that look like what you are describing.
As far as I know Dog River only made one version of the USA HOSP bottle in one color.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
I agree Matt, there are many wide mouthed versions. They come in aqua and also clear. I have never seen one in any other color....... well maybe what one might consider "ice blue". Almost clear, and almost aqua. (Very Pretty bottles) I am not familiar with all the repop's, but you had to know there would be unscrupulous people out there trying to make a buck on a fine bottle. I am not talking about the people who reproduce these bottles. I am talking about the people who try to pass them off as the real thing to new collectors. Kelley

crozet86

Reaction score
Kelley to be honest i didnt pay attention to if the USA had periods or not. Matt if the lip i described sounds like a original what about the light olive color?would that have been a real color? Now my dilema is whether to buy it and take a chance on it.I wouldnt want it if not original even if they bring a decent price as a repop.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have never seen the wide mouth ones in colors other than aqua or clear either.
I wouldnt buy something if you arent sure about it, its a lot of money to waste.
Take a photo and post it first if possible.

medbotls

Reaction score
From what I've seen and heard, the reproductions have a strange, small pontil, while alll of the originals are smooth based, despite being of Civil War vintage.

CWBookAuthor

Reaction score
I want to post that there are some olive green U.S.A.'s with a graphite pontil on them. Not all are smooth based. I had one that I dug in a Civil War campsite and that campsite was used ONLY during the war.

Mike

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1