Veronidia

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Adsum

Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for the welcome. Everytime I come on this site as a guest planning to spend a few minutes, it turns into a couple of hours. Great bunch of people.
OK, here it is. It seems as though there are not many bottle collectors in the Montreal area, not diggers at least. I have come across this bottle and I wanted to share what I have found so far and see if anyone else has input. The bottle is embossed near the top with the words VERONIDIA on one side and DEPOSE (with the french accents on both letters E) meaning "REGISTERED". I have found that VERONIDIA is a phamaceutical name for a compound manufactured in Italy and sold in France. It is basically a barbiturate. It would make sense that someone from France brought it to Montreal. Does my theory hold water? Has anyone ever come across a bottle like this one? Maybe it's very common. I'm also wondering about the age, I can't see the seam going all the way to the lip and there are bubbles and marks in the neck part of the bottle. But I'm no expert. A plain letter "R" is embossed on the bottom. Got any ideas?

Hf99247.jpg

Attachments

• Hf99247.jpg
    Hf99247.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 99

Adsum

Reaction score
Bottom part

Ig12267.jpg

Attachments

• Ig12267.jpg
    Ig12267.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 91

Adsum

Reaction score
Sorry, her is the pic. of the DEPOSE letters

Jh15242.jpg

David E

Reaction score
Hi from another (former) B.C Canuk don't find anything on Veronidia and is that Depose, French for Despose (as in depose of bottle). I know I got the bottle maker right as their is a city in France called Toulouse, same last name of man who wrote this book, R 1870 to 1880 does your bottle look that old.

Dave

Adsum

Reaction score
Thanks for the input David. It is really DÉPOSÉ as you can see by the pic.
I really don't know how old the bottle is.

David E

Reaction score
I took a look in Webster's Dictionary, which showes "Vermifuge" a mediicine for worm of the intestine, My book shows Vermifuge developed by one company in 1830 Pitts PA.
Don't know but maybe the english & french spelling make it one of the same.
Dave

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75