Very dark bottle, 3 part mold, heavy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
This bottle is an interesting one - hope I'm right that it's pre-1900 but I could be wrong.
It is extremely dark glass. Dark olive greenish brown really, but the thing is, I can't even see through the bottle at the bottom - that's how dark it is! (see pic 4, note how you can see through the glass at the top but not the bottom)
It has the seams that indicate it is a 3-part mold, at least to this newbie who has only been looking at bottles for a week! (see pic 3)
It has an indented bottom with a small round dot in the middle. (see pic 5)
9 3/4 inches tall. I'm guessing beer but I have no idea.
The other thing that made me guess this bottle is really old is that it is incredibly heavy for its size. Heavier than all the other bottles I found, even though it is smaller. If I hold it up to a really bright flashlight, I can see that the glass at the bottom is tremendously thick.
Anyone know what sort of bottle I have here?
Thanks!
Claire
5931756534_3b6571731e_z.jpg

5931756606_dc70640282_z.jpg

5931201197_dbe5bbb773_z.jpg

5931756706_db83a19b0b_z.jpg

5931756772_658e599c6e_z.jpg

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Looks like you found where the drinker in the house was tossing his trash.. [;)] Chances are it contained ale and came from Europe, also late 1800's..

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
Stashing his trash in the barn! Must've been out there having a drink with the cows and all. Hee hee!
Thanks for the info again cyberdigger - you are a mine of information!
I was just looking at some sites for something called "black glass" - is that what this is?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Scotuasouinner; I would say your bottle is an early beer. It was made in a three part mold, as per the pictured seams. The marked dot in the center of the bottom is a dot made by a vent hole that lets the trapped air escape in the final blow process. The picture of the bottom also suggests that there was a pushup bottom plate used and the mold seam ring around that pushup was also a relief vented type of fit in the mold closing;. I assume the finish is an applied glass ring, so the mold seams do not go up over it. I can't tell from the picture, but I am sure it was a tooled finish. I guess that is about all I can help you with right now. RED Matthews

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I'd say it qualifies as black glass, Claire.. I'm not the biggest expert of anything on this forum, I just get lucky sometimes.. [:D]

Scotiaspinner

Reaction score
Hi Red!
Thanks for that great information - that is very interesting detail. I had no idea about the venting and the bottom plate. I am new to all of this bottle information but I find it all very interesting - lots of history lessons! I really appreciate the help! I have bookmarked your website - lots of interesting information there too! I will be checking back on it from time to time as I learn more.
Thank you!

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Scotiaspinner

Stashing his trash in the barn! Must've been out there having a drink with the cows and all. Hee hee!
Thanks for the info again cyberdigger - you are a mine of information!
I was just looking at some sites for something called "black glass" - is that what this is?

You're having WWAAAAAAYY too much fun for a beginner ! Keep it up ! I'm enjoying it as much as you are.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter